PC sales to keep declining through 2018, says IDC report

Himanshu Arora

Staff

PC sales will keep falling through the next few years, says International Data Corporation. According to the research firm's latest report, PC shipments will continue dropping in 2014, and are expected to decline till 2018.

The Quarterly PC tracker report, which was released on Tuesday, states that global shipments of PCs will further decrease from 315.1 million last year to 295.9 million this year, and to 291.7 million in 2018. This accounts for a 2 percent slide in 2014, and just under 1 percent slide in subsequent years.

PC shipments by region and form factor, 2013 - 2018 (shipments in millions)

Region Form factor 2013 2014* 2018*
Emerging markets Desktop PC 85.6 80.5 77.2
Emerging markets Portable PC 96.2 87.2 94.5
Emerging markets Total PC 181.9 167.7 171.7

Mature markets Dektop PC 51.1 48.6 42.0
Mature markets Portable PC 82.2 79.6 77.9
Mature markets Total PC 133.3 128.2 120.0

Worldwide Desktop PC 136.7 129.1 119.2
Worldwide Portable PC 178.4 166.8 172.5
Worldwide Total PC 315.1 295.9 291.7

For the year 2013, IDC forecasted a 10.1 percent drop in PC shipments across the world, which actually turned out to be 9.8 percent. According to the research firm, the difference between the projected figure and the actual figure was because of short-term trends, such as replacements for Windows XP-running PCs, which Microsoft will be dropping support for in April.

Growing competition from smartphones and tablets, especially in emerging markets, is one of the major factors responsible for declining PC sales. With the current trend in the PC market, vendors need to reduce prices for attracting customers, as there is hardly any other way out of the problem.

Permalink to story.

Have they taken into account the way that the console market has shot itself in the foot with the current generation?

We're still talking nearly 300 million units in sales per year, even with the decrease. I hardly think that puts anyone in the poor house. Although portable devices are certainly an impact, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that computers built in the last 4 years can handle any current software applications easily. In the past, you had to upgrade to keep up with software demands. Until that happens again, PC sales are going to be flat - people will hold on to their machines as long as it runs their software packages well.

I'd like to see the report they came out with 4 years ago to see how accurate they were about that. I don't really understand how emerging markets are going to have a decrease in sales. As more and more people can afford PCs, you'd think they'd buy one.

"and are expected to decline till 2018"
So what happens after 2018? Are sales then expected to shoot through the roof again?

Oh no the declining of pc sales OMG this must be what happens when people dont buy a new PC every 30days what are we ever gonna do.

Seriously please stop posting stupid babble that CLEARLY indicates thing really arent static just because you sold a company for $50billion doesnt mean your other company is gonna sell for $50billion also..

It really worries me when people think sales are always gonna sky rocket and never ever go down this is reality not a dream world please for the love of god realize things flucturate!

I expect the predictions will prove wrong again. Now we are having an slow but steady economic recovery many companies will start to invest in replacing their old XP PCs. W9 may prove the impedance to get the consumer market moving again.

I expect the predictions will prove wrong again. Now we are having an slow but steady economic recovery many companies will start to invest in replacing their old XP PCs. W9 may prove the impedance to get the consumer market moving again.

Windows 9?.. Oh you mean the rebranded windows 8.1, You mean get the market moving just like windows 8 did that was a great OS moved a TON of units.... NOT

Windows 9?.. Oh you mean the rebranded windows 8.1, You mean get the market moving just like windows 8 did that was a great OS moved a TON of units.... NOT
It is a bit early to write off W9. Don't forget that W7 could be described as a re-branded Vista. If I was MS I would ditch the current Metro interface as that just puts people off. They need an interface with decent modern icons not squares.

It is a bit early to write off W9. Don't forget that W7 could be described as a re-branded Vista. If I was MS I would ditch the current Metro interface as that just puts people off. They need an interface with decent modern icons not squares.

I remember a article with a rumor that microsoft will rebrand the failure launch of windows 8.1 to windows 9 to make it a relaunch much like they did with windows 8.1, Metro 2.0 sounds like another failure as well.

BUT I am willing to hold my thoughts as 3 failures of microsoft have now left so its looking like microsoft is actually trying to improve.

Not sure why you even think that Windows 9 will result in increased PC sales. I don't think Microsoft has any 'real' intentions of releasing an operating system that most of us want. They're basically behind closed doors slapping a whole lotta lipstick on the pig to make it look pretty for its next big date. I guess they think Windows 7 users are a bunch of retards who can be fooled really easily. But it's probably still gonna be the same pig. Windows 8 was trimmed of all the good fats they could possibly trim so that all the twerking teens could use it on the lowest common denominator of devices. Windows operating systems used to drive PC sales upwards because they had a different mindset back then. The mindset was to push the hardware to it's very limits and beyond. That's no longer the case. The mindset for Windows 8 and (more than likely) Windows 9 is more along the lines of...make the OS run on as many different devices as possible by cutting features that showcase what powerful hardware can do like rendering 3D tiles, shadows, transparent borders/windows, oh and instead of beautiful 32-bit 16.7 million color schemes....just use some 4-bit color schemes so that we don't tax the hardware too much. Yeah, purple and white for everybody. That should work.

If Microsoft thinks I am gonna line up at the doors of Wal-Mart at midnight on the release day of Windows 9 because they ticked a box that allows me to boot to desktop by default.....LOL.....yeah okay, keep holding your breath on that one. No really, I'll be there. Sure I will, with my sleeping bag and box of twinkies.

Microsoft still has a chance to win me back. It's there game to lose really, I will adapt. I will survive. I guess, purely from a 'personal use' perspective, I have no fear of running Windows 7 through the year 2020 and beyond until I draw my dying breath. If you backup your *important* data often enough, it's easy to re-install an operating system from scratch. If I get a virus I can get rid of it, re-install OS if worst comes to worst, big whoopie doo.

But to the original posters point again, still, I could be wrong...it's a wait and see game at this point.

I remember a article with a rumor that microsoft will rebrand the failure launch of windows 8.1 to windows 9 to make it a relaunch much like they did with windows 8.1, Metro 2.0 sounds like another failure as well.

BUT I am willing to hold my thoughts as 3 failures of microsoft have now left so its looking like microsoft is actually trying to improve.
History is on my side as the OSs go in the good/bad cycle. The fact they are going for Metro 2 seems to indicate they are aware of the shortcomings of Metro 1. I expect they will surprise us either by creating a really useable interface or by missing the mark completely. If the second they may break their good/bad cycle!

History is on my side as the OSs go in the good/bad cycle. The fact they are going for Metro 2 seems to indicate they are aware of the shortcomings of Metro 1. I expect they will surprise us either by creating a really useable interface or by missing the mark completely. If the second they may break their good/bad cycle!

I highly doubt that, they keep on shattering consumers confidence in the Windows OS hence why windows xp is still the most used for businesses and companies specially with microsoft not helping in regards to metro its a touchscreen/tablet thing not good for businesses or companies that are wanting productivity not wasting time on the stupid metro....

Not sure why you even think that Windows 9 will result in increased PC sales. I don't think Microsoft has any 'real' intentions of releasing an operating system that most of us want. They're basically behind closed doors slapping a whole lotta lipstick on the pig to make it look pretty for its next big date. I guess they think Windows 7 users are a bunch of retards who can be fooled really easily. But it's probably still gonna be the same pig. Windows 8 was trimmed of all the good fats they could possibly trim so that all the twerking teens could use it on the lowest common denominator of devices. Windows operating systems used to drive PC sales upwards because they had a different mindset back then. The mindset was to push the hardware to it's very limits and beyond. That's no longer the case. The mindset for Windows 8 and (more than likely) Windows 9 is more along the lines of...make the OS run on as many different devices as possible by cutting features that showcase what powerful hardware can do like rendering 3D tiles, shadows, transparent borders/windows, oh and instead of beautiful 32-bit 16.7 million color schemes....just use some 4-bit color schemes so that we don't tax the hardware too much. Yeah, purple and white for everybody. That should work.

If Microsoft thinks I am gonna line up at the doors of Wal-Mart at midnight on the release day of Windows 9 because they ticked a box that allows me to boot to desktop by default.....LOL.....yeah okay, keep holding your breath on that one. No really, I'll be there. Sure I will, with my sleeping bag and box of twinkies.

Microsoft still has a chance to win me back. It's there game to lose really, I will adapt. I will survive. I guess, purely from a 'personal use' perspective, I have no fear of running Windows 7 through the year 2020 and beyond until I draw my dying breath. If you backup your *important* data often enough, it's easy to re-install an operating system from scratch. If I get a virus I can get rid of it, re-install OS if worst comes to worst, big whoopie doo.

But to the original posters point again, still, I could be wrong...it's a wait and see game at this point.
We will have a better idea when they release the beta version. But judging from the comments from one of the designers of W8 it was clear that PC users were not considered during the design process. that could indicate that PC users will be fully considered in the design process for W9. As it has been pointed out W8 is the first OS from MS that allows multiple GUIs. W9 could give us a choice of more than two GUIs.

If Microsoft thinks I am gonna line up at the doors of Wal-Mart at midnight on the release day of Windows 9 because they ticked a box that allows me to boot to desktop by default.....LOL.....yeah okay, keep holding your breath on that one.
The vast majority of OS licenses are sold to OEMs for use in prebuilt new machines, and those sales are driven primarily by price and the amount of colour saturation shown by the demo models.
If MS intro a low overhead DX12 API and target/market to gamers, that would ensure some upgrade migration on its own regardless of any other features added/missing from previous Windows OS's.
No really, I'll be there. Sure I will, with my sleeping bag and box of twinkies.
Isn't that kidnapping....at the very least ?

The vast majority of OS licenses are sold to OEMs for use in prebuilt new machines, and those sales are driven primarily by price and the amount of colour saturation shown by the demo models.
If MS intro a low overhead DX12 API and target/market to gamers, that would ensure some upgrade migration on its own regardless of any other features added/missing from previous Windows OS's.

Isn't that kidnapping....at the very least ?

I have a serious problem believing that the world can be completely satisfied staring at a 7" screen all day. How is it that people are buying 60" televisions and Blu-Ray movies and players, if it were truly enjoyable to watch 1920x1080 movies on these mini-me devices? How is it that PlayStation 4 is selling so well.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2014/...n-less-than-4-months-since-its-launch/#!yy4lQ

Given a choice, notice the word "choice", would somebody really choose to play a video game or watch a movie on a 7" device versus a 21"+ device? That's all we need is a striped down version of DirectX 12 to be released in Windows 9. Please don't give Microsoft any more ideas.

In time smartphones will become a PC of their own.

They already are in my opinion. But they can never replace a proper setup. Take Inte's NUCs for example. They are the future. You can easily put one in your pocket and take it anywhere on planet earth. But then what do you do for an enjoyable experience when it comes to screen size and user interactions? I guess when you can pull a 27" monitor out of your pocket and unroll it like a scroll then we can get rid of PCs. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I absolutely "refuse" to use anything less than the most enjoyable devices I can given the "choice". Those choices don't include touching my screen and they don't include squinting or using a magnifying glass to watch a Blu-Ray movie on a 7" screen. And No I don't give a damn how many pixels are on the screen. If the resolution were 2560x1440 it still wouldn't be enjoyable.

In time smartphones will become a PC of their own.
I can just see me swapping my laptop and dual 22" monitors for a smartphone at work! I was not joking when I asked if it would be possible to replace my 22" monitors with a pair of 32" ones. I have difficulty fitting my spreadsheets on my current monitors.

I have a serious problem believing that the world can be completely satisfied staring at a 7" screen all day
Well, serious problem or not, the world is gradually moving to mobile form factors
0106-npd-1.jpg

[Source]
Conventional PC markets are facing increasing pressure from the mobile space, as the IDC estimates released yesterday indicate
How is it that people are buying 60" televisions and Blu-Ray movies and players, if it were truly enjoyable to watch 1920x1080 movies on these mini-me devices?
Well, I suppose conventional PC's are safe until someone works out how to connect a TV to laptop, tablet, or phone.
As a little aside, Nvidia's GM107, which recently released as the GTX 750/750 Ti is about to be released in mobile MXM form as the GTX 860M...so you're looking at solid 1920x1080 gaming in a 45 watt package
That's all we need is a striped down version of DirectX 12 to be released in Windows 9. Please don't give Microsoft any more ideas.
Don't shoot the messenger.

We're still talking nearly 300 million units in sales per year, even with the decrease. I hardly think that puts anyone in the poor house. Although portable devices are certainly an impact, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that computers built in the last 4 years can handle any current software applications easily. In the past, you had to upgrade to keep up with software demands. Until that happens again, PC sales are going to be flat - people will hold on to their machines as long as it runs their software packages well.
You're dead on. Upgrades used to be necessary every two years and now we are starting to see computers that last way longer. My wife uses an old Pentium laptop because all she does is surfs the net. There's really no need to upgrade.

It's all a distraction to make you want to give up your desktop for mobile device. This is how the market works. So everyone going to be portable walking around with transparent computers system either wearable or using implant on your glasses or contact lens. Desktops will be around until they stop making them and parts for them.

Just 2014, they did say by this time 2014-2015 desktop and laptops would be history but I am not seeing that on. Maybe by 2030 things will change. Still sort of 32-bit more and less in 64-bit. They can't even to 100% 64-bit that shift will take some time.

Most of the major corporations here in US just started installing Windows 7. Takes them time to change out of old systems. These figures above just the trends of the market. Big boom in desktop sales in 2012. Then by 2013 it dropped. Tablet been strong buy you just can't do everything on tablet yet. WiFi in home and business it not where it should be. Sure got 802.11ac which is being phased out for 802.11ad. Everyone else still on 802.11n most of all the devices supports 802.11n and some devices still on 802.11g.

They push you to go out and buy the latest but most of what out there still in draft mode, then you have to use 802.11n still because all WiFi around that . Once out of the draft mode (pre-mode) then you get a firmware that makes it standard. Hopefully.

I using what I got here, not running and being distracted by any trends. Funny for some odd reasons my AMD P2 Quad 2.5 GHz Black Edition Systems seem to run better on Windows 8.1 Pro then they did with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The did come with Vista 64-bit Pro. Got a free upgrade Windows 7.

I am on 7 now system this new system came with it. Windows 9 (2015?) Windows 10 (2020?)

I'm still planning on bypassing all the touch oriented toy block BS, and waiting for an OS that calls me by name. If anybody's listening, call her "Aurora". "Siri" is too gypsy for my taste. I'd say, "call her Andromeda", but season 5 of the TV series ruined that name for me.:D

Windows 8 is a feeble, misguided attempt, at turning Windows into an Apple -esque closed system consumer ripoff. The product placement of, "Skydrive", and Win 8 Tablets, is starting to interfere with one of my favorite shows, "N.C.I.S. Los Angeles".

The buying public gets dumber by the day. Now they need a frakkin' phone app to order, (and way overpay for), a coffee in advance from Starbucks. Who knows though, possibly the current level of inbreeding, and constant barrage of id**tic propaganda and product placement, will make that happen for M$.

I'm not buying so much as another mouse from M$, until they get rid of Ballmer.

(FF's s*** a** spell checker, actually thinks I misspelled, "Los Angeles". Sheesh)!

Last edited:
Windows 8 is a feeble, misguided attempt, at turning Windows into an Apple -esque closed system consumer ripoff. The product placement of, "Skydrive", and Win 8 Tablets, is starting to interfere with one of my favorite shows, "N.C.I.S. Los Angeles".
Having never seen it, might I surmise that the show is about how members of the Lakers escape felony convictions via bribery and paying off the victims? If it is, I doubt the show has more than ten seasons in it.
The buying public gets dumber by the day.
I'm inclined to agree.
Now they need a frakkin' phone app to order, (and way overpay for), a coffee in advance from Starbucks. Who knows though, possibly the current level of inbreeding, and constant barrage of id**tic propaganda and product placement, will make that happen for M$.
Yeah, I think the U.S. is already past that tipping point.
I'm not buying so much as another mouse from M$, until they get rid of Ballmer.
Careful now, I think you're talking about the next star of N.C.I.S: Los Angeles Redmond

If I was MS I would ditch the current Metro interface as that just puts people off.
I don't know that I would ditch a project that could (and probably will regardless of what we want) have a future. Metro could be treated as an application much the same way as Media Center is designed for remote control. I imagine the Metro Interface as "Touch Center" for lack of better words. That is what it reminds me of, more than a desktop menu system.

For devices that actually need Metro, there should be a specific Windows version for these devices. Metro is not needed on desktop, but there is a place for Metro and should not be written off so quickly. Even though Metro will never see one of my devices, until after MS does something with the cosmetics.

Back