PC Status Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I was wondering guys if you all know how to do automatic system status restore on shutdown on computers. It's kind of hard to explain but, if you've ever noticed it at PC places, where, when someone uses a computer, and they install stuff, or download stuff, etc, and the computer is shut down, the computer returns to the original state before the user used the computer.

I'm trying to figure this all out. Is there a program involved or something? Thanks alot!

I think that the person who installs anything is using a guest-account or logging in at least as a different user from the default-user. He will also be installing only for that particular account.

Then when the PC reboots, it comes up with the previous (read: original from the regular login-account) status.
The other guy's stuff is still there, but you won't see it.

No, what I mean is like a complete restoration. Like, if someone is using the computers and notoriously downloads bad stuff, messeses with the computer, implant files, etc., that it will all be gone (not just you can't see), but for it to be all gone to the state before he used it.

Microsoft have a program to use a Virtual Desktop.
"Virtual Desktop Manager", manage up to four desktops from the Windows taskbar with this PowerToy.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Other companies have full Virtual Desktop programs, do a Google and be surprised.

Basically you copy your OS into a Virtual environment, then mess with it, do as you like.
It disappears completely when you reboot.

Perhaps that is your answer?

XtR means a system where a complete disk image is restored automatically.

Many public PC places use those systems usually to restore all the machines to a predefined state every night.

RecoveryMagic and GoBack offer such capabilities I believe.

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Microsoft have a program to use a Virtual Desktop.
"Virtual Desktop Manager", manage up to four desktops from the Windows taskbar with this PowerToy.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Other companies have full Virtual Desktop programs, do a Google and be surprised.

Basically you copy your OS into a Virtual environment, then mess with it, do as you like.
It disappears completely when you reboot.

Perhaps that is your answer?

Yes, sort of. Having this capability with low resources used or any additional programs installed to a minimal. I don't want anyone to be able to change anything like reg values on the system for the moment either. It should be a complete re-fresh of the system each reboot. The admin account should NOT reset. And probably a General account that defines everything a person has to use and can be updated.

I plan on opening up a public PC place and I need to do the best I can do to save my computers from malicious users.

I'm guessing that accounts should not be stored on the computer itself, but accessed from a server that hosts accounts/storage etc. and prob runs off the OS and what not of the current computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back