PC will not stay powered on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put my new system together....built a few before but 1st processor i've installed (was scarey .. hehe).

1. I went to asus's website and downloaded the latest bios for my MOBO.
2. I made a raid install disk ( will be using xp64bit) in riad 0 setup.

Powered on the 1st time and entered bios.....followed the instructions for flashing my bios..the pc got to reboot and never powered back on.(waited about 5 minutes before powering back on manually)

Now when I hit the power button the pc powers up for about 8 seconds and then shuts down. No beeps or sound, fans work fine on power supply and case and processor.

Looked on the internet and in the instruction manual and no specific info, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Please let me know if any more info would help out .

System Specs:
Asus Striker II Formula LGA 775 Nvidia nForce 780i sli atx Intel motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66Ghz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core
Antec 900 case
Antec true power tp3-550watt Power Supply
1 8800 evga 8800 knockout pci e video card
4 gigs of Corsair Dominator ddr2
1 3.5 floopy
2 250G Western Digital 16M sata2 hds
1 Asus sata dvd

If you have time:
Press DEL to enter BIOS setup page
After entering BIOS setup page, choose "Load Optimal Defaults".
Then click "Save and Exit" and reboot system

Rules for Safe BIOS updating through the Internet

1. For safety reasons, always use the most updated BIOS utility!
2. Do not overclock the system/CPU during BIOS update!
3. Load "Setup Default" in BIOS menu before BIOS Update.
4. Make sure you have "Administator" privilege on your Windows system (WinNT4/2000/XP).
5. Close all application programs under Windows.
6. Disable any existing Anti-Virus applications in the system.
7. Reboot the PC after the BIOS update is complete.
8. Switch on the PC and load "Setup Default" in BIOS again.

All ASUS motherboard will carry 3 year warranty services
ASUS notebook will carry 2 year standard warranty services

The issue is the pc will not stay powered on for more than 8 seconds now, this only started happening after the bios flash attempt.
I used the ASUS EZ flash 2 utility in the bios....flashed from my usb drive.

When I power on there are no beeps or noise other than the case and cpu/psu fans powering up.

Took all drives off the power, tried both sticks of ddr2 in slot a1, disconnected all fans..other than cpu heatsink fan..

What seemed very odd was it posted great the 1st time I powered on....and only had issues after I flashed the BIos...and i followed the instructions to a T ( looked up online as well to verify the flash steps on the ASUS website)

Could my PSU have gone bad already?

I did not set any bios information prior to flashing as i read i'd have to reconfigure after the flash anyway.

Looks to me like the CPU is not correct to that bios update, but it could be a number of issues (including faulty power supply)

This is a good candidate for BenchTesting

Does your power-button pop out all the way when you activate it? On my desktop, the power-button on the front will sometimes get stuck when it clicks-in but will not click-out. When this happens, the machine powers on for a few seconds, and then shuts off. When that happens, I need to press the button again and make sure it pops out again.

Maddoc said:
Just put my new system together....built a few before but 1st processor i've installed (was scarey .. hehe).

1. I went to asus's website and downloaded the latest bios for my MOBO.
2. I made a raid install disk ( will be using xp64bit) in riad 0 setup.

Powered on the 1st time and entered bios.....followed the instructions for flashing my bios..the pc got to reboot and never powered back on.(waited about 5 minutes before powering back on manually)

Now when I hit the power button the pc powers up for about 8 seconds and then shuts down. No beeps or sound, fans work fine on power supply and case and processor.

Looked on the internet and in the instruction manual and no specific info, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Please let me know if any more info would help out .

System Specs:
Asus Striker II Formula LGA 775 Nvidia nForce 780i sli atx Intel motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66Ghz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core
Antec 900 case
Antec true power tp3-550watt Power Supply
1 8800 evga 8800 knockout pci e video card
4 gigs of Corsair Dominator ddr2
1 3.5 floopy
2 250G Western Digital 16M sata2 hds
1 Asus sata dvd

Did you ever get this resolved??

Sent board back to NewEgg

Yes, sent board back to newegg under RMA. Waiting on my replacement to get goin again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back