PC will not turn on, not PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago my PC was rattling and making alot of noises so i opened it up and tightened the case ect to fix it... but then when i would go to play a game the system would suddenly restart after a minute or two. This happened about three times, then i left the room and returned to find the PC off, and i could not turn it back on. I opened it up to check all conections and the memory, but stll nothing. The led on the motherboard was lit, but i could not get anything else, no fans, nothing. So today i figured i would go out and get a new case (figuring it was the power source) to solve the problem and get a quieter system. But after installing everything i still get nothing but the Led on the motherboard to turn on. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Max

The rattling was probably caused by a failing power supply fan, or a failing power supply. The supply failure took out the motherboard, regardless if the motherboard LED works. This LED just tells you that the +5 volt source is working

The problem you describe is likely the result of severe adware, malware and virus infections. I recently repaired a machine doing exactly what you describe yours as doing. The cause? Over 200 different infections.

The cure? Panda or some other FREE antivirus suite trial software.

First you are going to have to get the thing to run long enough to run the antivirus and for that you are going to have to start your machine with step by step confirmation. See the windows help desk for that info.

i feel like it may be a hardware issue considering i have a good antivirus setup. how can i test if it is the motherboard? and can i salvage the processor if it is the motherboard?

Can you start the machine in safe mode?

Will it even do a post?

Never mind I see you said it will do nothing.

May be the mobo. Could be the CPU too.

If its a dead mobo the CPU should still be fine so long as you don't damage it during removal and reinstallation.

No fans run? Not even the PSU?

It is simply a hardware problem, check your cpu heatsink, make sure it didnt blow, sometimes pc's wont even think about starting until that baby is in working order, i kno mine wont. Although ive seen windows , assuming ur using windwos, do some pretty weird things, windows might have taken a dump, check ur HD. when you were messing around with your mobo, did you acidently knock some little peices off? this can cause a mobo to not work any more, ive done it.

I agree with Tmagic, it was probably the power supply, which probably surged in its death and took out the motherboard.

However, the rattling could also have been your CPU fan failing, in which case the restarts were from overheating and the failure happened when the fan finally stopped working and the processor melted.

Either way, you're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back