PC Will Not Turn On

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS community:

My old Compaq desktop has been having power button trouble for some time. The computer would never turn off using the main power button. For two weeks I used the main power supply if I needed to turn the power supply on or off.

Now, however, the computer will not boot automatically when plugging the power in. I have the case open and there is a small green light lit up on the mother board near where the power button plugs into the MB.

I get no sign of life from either plugging in the Comp or pushing the power button.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Power

Its is a Compaq Desktop 6266 EP series.

Could be the power switch, because that was giving me problems. Yet, the computer would turn on and off using just the power cord before, now... nothing.

Thanks

Wont Power On

I have Been building computers for the better part of 10 years and I have seen everything imaginable.
Basically in a Nutshell what has happened is by you using the main Power supply to turn your puter on and off with has caused power spikes and voltage irregularities in the MB itself and over time has fried the MB itself the green light that comes on is just a power indicator showing you have voltage feed but it is not getting past the regulaors and capacitors.
I would suggest you pull the mainboard out and replace it with a compatible MB and check to make sure the irregularities havent damaged the processor as well.
If both MB And cpu are dead I can offer to pay the shipping to me I recycle All computer parts so I can take the dead stuff off your hands But nonetheless try a new MB it should come back on its original start up and DO REPLACE THAT BAD POWER BUTTON!!!!
COMPUTER REBUILDER
WWW.CSLIQUIDATIONS.COM IS MY WEBSITE FOR NEW USED AND REFURBISHED COMPUTERS AND MY EMAIL FOR BUYING DEAD PARTS

the green light that comes on is just a power indicator showing you have voltage feed but it is not getting past the regulaors and capacitors.

The green light means the voltage is not getting past the regulators and capacitors? Not on any motherboard I have ever had... It means that the motherboard is getting power, period. Nothing more, nothing less.

Before we assume his motherboard is dead, why not test the power switch first?

luc209, I don't know how much you know about computers, but there is a way to bypass your power switch. This is not recommended if you are not familiar with the guts of a computer case.

Open your case, and find the cable going from your case's front power switch to your motherboard. It will have a two pin connector plugged into your motherboard. If you remove that cable from the motherboard, then take a screwdriver, and use it to touch BOTH of the two pins on the motherboard (the ones you just revealed by removing the power switch cable) your system will turn on (if the problem is just the switch). NOTE: this is a dangerous thing to do. If you accidentally touch the screwdriver to another pin, or worse, to the side of your case while touching those pins, it will magically make a puff of pretty smoke and a funky burning aroma.

Again, not recommended if you have never opened a case before. Take it in to a pro, or have a friend who knows computers do it for you to test your power switch.

If this test turns on your computer, your problem is simply the power switch. Very cheap to replace.

Comprebuilder said:
Don I dont know how familiar you are with Power Switches But Most of them are Hardwired into the power supply and if you cut the wraps off them to check the leads alot of the time you get a ground out that will definatly FRY THE SYSTEM.
I was not advertising anything Just simply placing the best way to email me directly from my website because Alot of the time people find it easier to talk directly with someone rather than use a message board.

And Yes taking it a Pro would be a good idea but also most people cant afford the $65.00 And Hour fee they charge which in itself is a BS Sissy Fee Becaue they cant make money anyother way but to overcharge some for doing noting but looking at a system.
The green Light is a Power Indicator the Board is recieving Juice so the power supply or the switch is not bad why not put an ATX Power supply tester to it I bet it shows 100% Power feed then put it on one of the voltage jumpers to the MB And I Bet it shows 15%-35% Voltage.
DonNagual said:
The green light means the voltage is not getting past the regulators and capacitors? Not on any motherboard I have ever had... It means that the motherboard is getting power, period. Nothing more, nothing less.

Before we assume his motherboard is dead, why not test the power switch first?

luc209, I don't know how much you know about computers, but there is a way to bypass your power switch. This is not recommended if you are not familiar with the guts of a computer case.

Open your case, and find the cable going from your case's front power switch to your motherboard. It will have a two pin connector plugged into your motherboard. If you remove that cable from the motherboard, then take a screwdriver, and use it to touch BOTH of the two pins on the motherboard (the ones you just revealed by removing the power switch cable) your system will turn on (if the problem is just the switch). NOTE: this is a dangerous thing to do. If you accidentally touch the screwdriver to another pin, or worse, to the side of your case while touching those pins, it will magically make a puff of pretty smoke and a funky burning aroma.

Again, not recommended if you have never opened a case before. Take it in to a pro, or have a friend who knows computers do it for you to test your power switch.

If this test turns on your computer, your problem is simply the power switch. Very cheap to replace.

comp-rebuilder said:
Don I dont know how familiar you are with Power Switches But Most of them are Hardwired into the power supply and if you cut the wraps off them to check the leads alot of the time you get a ground out that will definatly FRY THE SYSTEM.

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing here, or perhaps you are speaking of older systems (with which I fully admit I have no knowledge of). The only setup I have ever seen is where the power switch cable (the one on the front of the computer case) plugs directly into the motherboard, never into the power supply itself. And I am not talking about cutting any wraps off any cables (not sure where you got that idea). I am talking about unplugging that cable from the motherboard.

And Yes taking it a Pro would be a good idea but also most people cant afford the $65.00 And Hour fee they charge which in itself is a BS Sissy Fee Becaue they cant make money anyother way but to overcharge some for doing noting but looking at a system.

I am all for people saving money when possible. That's what this site is for, is it not? Then again, there are times when people can do more damage than good, and it's best to take it in. Hard line to draw and I am sure we're all doing our best to make that distinction.

The green Light is a Power Indicator the Board is recieving Juice so the power supply or the switch is not bad why not put an ATX Power supply tester to it I bet it shows 100% Power feed then put it on one of the voltage jumpers to the MB And I Bet it shows 15%-35% Voltage.

Hey, if he has a power supply tester in his hands, I agree. That would be a good thing to use at this point. ;)

But... am I misunderstanding you again? It sounds like you are saying that you think if there is a green light on the motherboard, that it means the power switch (the one on the front of the case) is therefore fine? That is not true on any motherboard I have ever owned. The power switch on the front of the computer case has nothing to do with whether or not the motherboard is receiving power from the power supply.

Older Power Supplies

I know which PS you Mean the Newer Ones Do Have a Cable that connects to the Mainboard In Fact All Of them Do The Power Supplies that range from 100W up to 300W Have a Power Button Hardwired into them and they use a Heat shrinked rubber around the button screws that is the wrap I was referring to.
But yes trying to disconnect the Power Cables from the MB might work as well but it might not too.
I am having a similar computer issue to his Power it up and nothing happens the green light is on but not all the Ponies are running I am trying a few different things like a new MB and then a New PSupply If none of it works then I will scrap the system.
I was not trying to argue with you over this I was Just trying to give some possiblities of how to cure that sick lil system is all You have a Great Day Just the Same :)

that's a real good technique.

Normally I emplace boot force onto side panel. Using whack stick, slap top side with vigorous oral coaxing.

If computer responds, slap keyboard., if not, repeat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back