PC won't boot, need help, bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj97blazer

Im new here. So hello all. I've read over some of the threads and I hope someone here can help me out.

I have a stock Acer Aspire AX1200-U1520A and it's not starting. This is the second time it's done this. When I push the power button it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. The fan will come on, sometimes it's running faster than other times. You can push the eject button on the cdrom and it works. I have no clue what's going on.

The first time it did this, I unplugged it with out shutting it down. I know I shouldn't have but I did. I kept messing with it and it never did anything just the same ole' crap. I left it alone unplugged for about a month because my wife had our baby and I didn't really think about it. I went in the computer room and plugged it in and nothing so I cut it off with the power button and unplugged it and pushed the power button again to release the static and tried again and it beeped so I hook up the monitor and it was working. It's continued to work for the past 2 months and now it's not working again.

We didn't have internet for a little while and when we got it back on the network card wasn't working so I shut down the computer and unplugged it to check it out. Then when I plugged it back in, nothing. It started doing nothing again. Come to think about it, the network card is the reason I unplugged it the first time. I was pee'd off at it and said screw it and unplugged it. I was a little more calm this time.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone here has had a problem like this before and if some one can please help me out. I really need this computer. All of the pictures we have so far of our first child are on the Acer and also I have alot of theme building crap on there for BlackBerrys that I really don't wont to lose. I would love to try to fix this myself because I really don't have the money to take it someone. I don't really want to wait another 2 months for it to decide if it want to work again. I'm kind of scared to take it to someone because I don't want them to wipe it out.

Well, thank in advance and if there are any more details you need just let me know.

Thanks,
Jamey

Well, it dosen't sound like a hard drive problem so if you would take it in to fix, they probably wouldn't wipe your hard drive so your pictures will stay safe I believe

As Taxman526 said, your hard drive should be fine (where all of your data is stored).

It's difficult to troubleshoot because it could be many things, but my experiences tell me that it is most likely a failing power supply. There really isn't a good way to find out for sure though, without actually changing the power supply.

"Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the hard drive. I called the TigerDirect store in Raleigh where I got it from and they told me it would be $130 just to look at it. That's just crazy talk. lol.

Thanks again,
Jamey

As Taxman526 said, your hard drive should be fine (where all of your data is stored).

It's difficult to troubleshoot because it could be many things, but my experiences tell me that it is most likely a failing power supply. There really isn't a good way to find out for sure though, without actually changing the power supply.

I know what a hard drive is, lol. After I read what I wrote, I sound kind of "dumb". I just wanted to let yall know what I know and get a second, third, forth and maybe a fifth opinion, lol. I went to school for Networking Technology so I'm not totally lost.

But all that aside, I'm thinking it's the power supply also. I've tried to find one that would fit but I cannot find one. It's a really small pc. I've looked on Acers website and I can't find anything. I haven't tried ebay though. I was thinking about taking a power supply out of another one of my pc's just to test with.

Thanks a lot for the reply buddy.
Later,
Jamey

Idk, a power supply is a power supply, all power supplies are virtually the same size so any power supply should do I took the specs you left of the computer and it seems like any power supply could fit

It's just so tight in there. I tried measure the power supply and find out the dimensions but I guess I was just pissy and not thinking correctly, lol. I do know it's a LiteOn. I'll check it later and see if can get some measurements and the model #.

Will do. Thanks again. I bought the Acer to use and a multimedia pc with my tv and my main pc got so slow I just got fed up with it and started using the Acer as our main pc. Is there something I can use to wirelessly transmit movies and such from the computer room to the living room? I think I've heard something about using a Xbox 360 for just that, but I don't have one. Isn't there a microsoft media center thing. It's late here some I'm not thinking at full capacity, lol. All of this is for another thread so I'll do a search or post in a different thread.

Thanks,
Jamey

I know what a hard drive is, lol. After I read what I wrote, I sound kind of "dumb".

No, you don't sound dumb at all. But I don't take for granted what people know on the forum. I have no clue about who you are, what your experience is or how much you know about computers... So I always explain things more than I should.

If we were all experts, there wouldn't be much of a forum. :)

No, you don't sound dumb at all. But I don't take for granted what people know on the forum. I have no clue about who you are, what your experience is or how much you know about computers... So I always explain things more than I should.

If we were all experts, there wouldn't be much of a forum. :)

LOL. I totally understand. I do appreciate all of the help though. I didn't mean to sound like a ****, if I did.

Thanks again,
Jamey

please title threads more descriptively.

I suggest replacing the PSU. and reseating all components. use appropriate electro-static precautions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back