PC won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, Hello and thank you for being kind helping souls.

I just upgraded a machine of mine, (motherboard, processor, power supply and RAM) and I'm a little scared I might have burned something.

I accidentally left the 4 pin 12v plug out before trying to start it (with the old power supply). The computer turned on (fans, lights, monitor feed) but did not respond. Since I couldn't turn it on on the button, I pulled the power plug. A few times.

After a while the computer wouldn't even light up. I got a new power supply, and connected the 4-pin 12v plug, but I'm affraid it might be too late. Nothing smells funny, though.

Can this be a self-preserving shut-down reactivated by jumper switching or is my brand new motherboard gone for good?

I gotta work tomorrow, so I'd really appreciate any answer soon.

Thanks,
Stefan

My PC:
motherboard: PC Chips A33G
processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000
RAM: DDR2 512 533
2 HDDs
1 DVD
1 floppy

thanks again

Ok, so I tried fiddling around with the jumpers.

The CLR CMOS jumper settings are the following:
ooo 1

I suppose jumper 1 is the one on the right.

1-2 short: Normal - oHH 1
2-3 short: Clear CMOS memory - HHo 1

I tried starting with the normal mode, with originally started, but it's non-responsive.
The 2-3 setting mode, however, starts the computer, just as no shorting at all starts. But even though it turns on, with all lights on, and fans and everything, I still have no image in the monitor, and all the lights (except the DVD-RAM) are on all the time.

I don't know what to do, something is very eerie about this. And I have to wake up in 4 hours to go to work.

Thanks again in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back