PCChips Mobo Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing my motherboard soon and I'm looking at this one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185044

It's a PCChips M-955G. First off, I currently have a 1.8GHz Celeron CPU and in one of the reviews somebody said this board does not work to well with celeron processors as opposed to using a P4. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm planning to upgrade to a P4 sometime down the road but for now I'm stuck with my celeron.

Secondly, has anyone had any experience with PCChips mobos before? I'm just trying to figure out if this is a decent board or not. Money is an issue so I have to keep it really cheap and this seems to have some decent features for the price. Any/all comments are welcome, thanks!

PCChips Boards Have a Bad Reputation

I have no personal experience with them, but I also like to learn from other people's mistakes , so I would never buy a PCChips board. If you search the net, I think you'll find more negative responses than positive regarding these boards.

Also, I could be wrong here since I haven't been reading TomsHardware lately, but they never used to include PCChips boards in their testing. To me, that's a red flag - but again, I could be out of date w/ that statement.

When I'm trying to match a mobo with a CPU, I always go to TomsHardware and see how certain boards do in the tests. I also go to Intel's or AMD's website to see what boards they recommend. Other good sites include annandtech.com, hardwareanalysis.com, and one of my favorites - motherboards.org.

Good Luck!

PC Chips motherboards are notorious. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that you will have problems with your motherboard but the probability is much higher than with a better-known motherboard maker. IMHO you can't go much lower than PC Chips.

Thanks for the advice. I think I've narrowed my search down to three mobos. I hope I don't sound like an ***** here but I was wondering if somebody could take a look at the links below and tell me what they think would work best. The PCChips board has the best specs on paper but the ASUS and GIGABYTE boards are better quality from what I can tell. Just looking for opinions. BTW the purpose of this system is going to be for mild gaming, nothing intense just some recreational gaming on a tight budget. Thanks for your time guys. :grinthumb

PCCHIPS M955G

GIGABYTE GA8VM533MRZ

ASUS P4GEMX

The following is a personal opinion of "Soul Harvester" and is not supported directly or indirectly by Techspot or Techspot staff:

PCCHIPS IS CRAP.

CRAP AFTER CRAP.

The end.

If they work, good. But if they don't, expect alot of headache getting it replaced. I've received a couple of doa boards from PCChips, it wasn't very fast or friendly.

Go w/ the Intel Chipset Board - Asus

The Asus board has an Intel chipset - I would feel better with that (versus VIA for the Gigabyte). This is not based on any real technical analysis since I couldn't find a side-by-side comparison of the two chipsets or boards. I would search for reviews of each mobo and base your decision on whatever one gets the more positive ratings.

At least one thing is clear - PCChips boards are CRAP!

OzzmosisDSM said:
I have to keep it really cheap and this seems to have some decent features for the price.

I know wha you mean...but finding a cheap board w/good features and quality...just doesnt exsist.

Sean

I buy PCCHIPS since they made PIII MoBos...I remember buying a M766, good stuff; never had a problem untill now, with a M952 P4.

I think I assambled like more than 10 systems with PCCHIPS, they're all fine. A good thing about this MoBos is that you can plug almost whatever thing you buy and they'll deal well with 'em.

...But P4 MoBos from PCCHIPS are a kind of complicated...so beware. I never bought an M955G. I tested a M930, many M925G, a M935, a M960G, and Two M952. My actual problem is with a M952, but I'm not sure it is a MoBo problem yet. Also tested succesfully an AMD MoBo from PCCHIPS.

So, if PCCHIPS is crap, like most people say, I think I might have had an incredible amount of luck so far. ;)

Here, M955G are known to have a good behaviour. It is not the same case as M960G. However, since I never tested that model (M955G) I can't tell.

Luck with your choice; and if you got the chance to test before buying, do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back