PCI Audio Card Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

Once again I need advice from the experts, this time I'm in need of a PCI sound card solution to replace on board audio on a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P mobo. As you can see PCIE 1x is not an option since the mobo has a useless slot blocked by a heat sink. I can also get a used PCI Creative Audigy 2 ZS, but I think that may not work as desired since the card is quite old.

What I need to know first is if the on board audio on the mobo is worth replacing? My PC is used pretty much for movies, music and gaming, I have logitech THX 5.1 speakers and I really love surround sound while gaming.

These are my options, please advise me on which one to get:
HT OMEGA STRIKER
ASUS Xonar D1
AuzenTech AZT-XPCINE
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

More recommendations under US$100.00 will be appreciated, many thanks in advance!

I had a Creative Audigy 4 Pro for awhile which was a good card all around. I think I paid around $75 for it retail so I doubt it would be any more than $40-50 now. If you want better audio quality and better sound performance when running games, I would recommend it.

I second the above post, I moved from an audigy 2 to 4 and the sound quality was better. Go for it.

The sad thing is that Audigy 4 is not being produced or sold anymore, Newegg only has Audigy SE and X-Fi Extreme. I was able to find one in Amazon for US$125.00, which is over budget for me.

I am aiming for a product for the long run, that is why I would prefer something that is currently on the market and with a Win 7 compatibility feature assured.

Many thanks for your replies!:cool:

I recommend the Turtle Beach Montego here as an inexpensive choice that will do the job. You will notice a significant difference in sound quality from the onboard sound.

I didn't realize how difficult it was to track down an Audigy 4... even on eBay the selection is quite limited. I sold mine several months back and at that time I could still find a few places online that sold them brand new. You might be able to get one in old stock at a retail location, I think I originally bought mine at Staples... yes, the office superstore. If not there's one here, but it's open box and for that price I would get something else or aim for an X-Fi.

A lot of companies have EAX support in their games meaning Creative cards have an edge with their games. X-Fi is what I use and it is an excellent sound card. Got it for about $40 used on eBay.

Better than Audigy IMO with it's positional sound and X-Fi crystalizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back