PCIe x16 vs. x8

Hello everybody!
I have on my motherboard ( DFI LanPartyUT nF4 SLI-DR ) 2 PCIe x16 type sockets, meaning each x8 if SLI, one x16 and the other x2 if it's only one videocard inserted.
My problem is the chipset cooler which doesnt allow me to insert properly my videocard in the PCIe x16 socket (non-SLI). So I am wondering: what will happen (as performance) if I move the jumper for SLI, but using only the second socket which will have only x8 this way?
Thank you!

Hello everybody!
I have on my motherboard ( DFI LanPartyUT nF4 SLI-DR ) 2 PCIe x16 type sockets, meaning each x8 if SLI, one x16 and the other x2 if it's only one videocard inserted.
My problem is the chipset cooler which doesnt allow me to insert properly my videocard in the PCIe x16 socket (non-SLI). So I am wondering: what will happen (as performance) if I move the jumper for SLI, but using only the second socket which will have only x8 this way?
Thank you!
Makes no difference, you will not really see a performance difference between a 16x slot and an 8x slot. Most motherboard generally run cards when in dual mode (SLI/CFX) in 8x speed on both.

It will not matter unless you are running a Dual GPU card in an 8x slot.

Makes no difference, you will not really see a performance difference between a 16x slot and an 8x slot. Most motherboard generally run cards when in dual mode (SLI/CFX) in 8x speed on both.

It will not matter unless you are running a Dual GPU card in an 8x slot.
Thank you very much for your answer!

Back