Pelty is a Bluetooth speaker that's powered by candle flame

Shawn Knight

Staff member

pelty candle-powered speaker runs fire speaker indiegogo bluetooth speaker peltier

The concept of using one of humanity’s oldest resources – fire – to generate electricity is nothing new. Innovative projects like the BioLite BaseCamp Stove, which uses a thermoelectric generator to transfer heat from fire into usable electricity to power mobile gadgets, have proven tremendously successful on crowdfunding sites.

Why then, couldn’t this same technique be used to power other gadgets, say like, a Bluetooth speaker?

pelty candle-powered speaker runs fire speaker indiegogo bluetooth speaker peltier

That’s the idea behind Pelty, the first Bluetooth speaker that draws power from the flame of a single candle using the Peltier effect. Built from natural materials (ceramic and glass), the speaker features a minimalistic design that’ll function anywhere a candle can be lit.

The Indiegogo page for the Pelty claims a typical candle can last up to five hours and the loudness of the system is comparable to any other docking station. Technical details of the speaker being used in the system will be available soon, we’re told.

The Pelty team is seeking to raise $100,000 in funding which will be used to rent space to assemble the units, improve R&D and find optimal packaging. Early birds can pick up a Pelty in exchange for a donation of at least $229. Once these 150 units are all spoken for, you’ll need to shell out $265 to get in on the action.

The campaign still has a long way to go with less than $6,000 pledged thus far but with 45 days remaining, it could certainly happen.

Permalink to story.

How is it in any way practical? Especially in the light of solar panels coming everywhere, it seems utterly useless. Need to light a candle to hear the sound - that's just insane.

They would better make a converter from heat to electricity. For example, if you go camping, you could make a fire and throw it in to recharge something.

So instead of burning a small candle, we would be aiding in the destruction of what little forest we have left. I mean if we buy a device that will produce electricity by fire, might as well use it everyday. Next thing you know we will be powering our air-conditioners by outside fire. lol

So instead of burning a small candle, we would be aiding in the destruction of what little forest we have left. I mean if we buy a device that will produce electricity by fire, might as well use it everyday. Next thing you know we will be powering our air-conditioners by outside fire. lol

I was thinking more of a post-apocalypse scenario, at least to have some electricity from the world burning ;)

That's it, I'm tossing out my gas heater and lighting fires in the house, like the middle of each room, and then I'm going to hang electrical devices over the top.

Correct?

Bluetooth powered by candlelight?
sold! (to those romantic people who enjoy candle-lit dinners.)

I consider myself leaning towards the tree-huggers so I dislike any tech that tends to produce more carbon emission.
for 'green econo-environment' efficiency purposes, the 'pelty' creators could have chosen electricity powered by air/wind (and not by farts. :) )

Last edited:
sold! (to those romantic people who enjoys candle-lit dinners.)

I consider myself leaning towards the tree-huggers so I dislike any tech that tends to produce more carbon emission.
for 'green econo-environment' efficiency purposes, the 'pelty' creators could have chosen electricity powered by air/wind (and not by farts. :) )

Pelter is a bluetooth speaker thats powered by diesel!
That what you mean ;D

Guys I think you are missing the point.
Pelty is not about blackout or apocalypse. It's a device willing to create the right atmosphere for your special occasion, moment of relax; it's original and in the eco-friendly argument please consider that it's made in ceramic and glass, 100% natural, not in plastic.
Also, it's hand made, not produced in some chinese factory.
Cheers,
Edo

Guys I'm thinking bigger, their is enough heat coming from my PC CPU and GPU that maybe one day it could power itself! At the very least reduce my electricity bill.

Here's hoping!!

I wouldn't shell over US$200 for this, when I have a solution for a tenth of the price and it just charges over a usb port.

If it were cheaper it might be... colorful to say something but totally impractical.

Ok let's add to the survival thingie, now you have a candle light speaker, what are you going to play? Your dead phone? Your "cassette" player? IMPRACTICAL.

If they were creating a charging station powered by a candle I would totally dig it, since that is not the case and the price tag is a joke... *flies away*

We need this to power a post apocalypse WAN with a copy of the internet. Internet forever!

I can't picture a candle-lit speaker providing rock-concert like sound. So what levels of sound will come out of that thing? 50 dB? 60 dB? And will that sound be of an acceptable quality?

I can't picture a candle-lit speaker providing rock-concert like sound.
Fixed that for you as rock music would be more likely to cover up bad qualities in a speaker. As much as I really don't like slow music, slow music would be the best for use when testing speaker quality. Much the same way as your eyes needing time to focus on picture differences. If the picture changes to quickly, you would not likely notice the differences.

But then you also have the thought. How on earth could you ever get concert like sound, if you are not in a concert hall? So I really should cross out concert as well and replace it with another term. Another term that is more likely achievable, such as the original term "rock-concert".

Very innovative invention. This helps lessen consumed electricity just by replacing it with candle flames. Brilliant idea!

sold! (to those romantic people who enjoy candle-lit dinners.)
Well, you do understand you're supposed to turn the blue tooth OFF during said candlelight dinner, don't you?

Using the dinner candles to power up your phone sounds really, really counterproductive to getting lucky afterwards.

Be ready to hear, "not now dear, I have a phone call".:'(

Fixed that for you as rock music would be more likely to cover up bad qualities in a speaker. As much as I really don't like slow music, slow music would be the best for use when testing speaker quality.
Actually, one of the most difficult tests of audio equipment in general, and loudspeakers in particular, is accurately reproducing acoustic piano.

But then you also have the thought. How on earth could you ever get concert like sound, if you are not in a concert hall? So I really should cross out concert as well and replace it with another term. Another term that is more likely achievable, such as the original term "rock-concert".
Answer, you can't. Surely, some little trinket with a headphone size driver won't really produce any type of "concert sound", in any capacity, with respect to frequency response, volume, dynamic range, or ambiance.

Here are recounts of some epic moments in permanent hearing damage: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101115192453AAHOPgV

The PA systems of those events were probably in the neighborhood of 75,000 watts RMS.

It would be interesting to sit down and try to figure out how many candles you'd have to light for that kind of output.

Last edited:
Back