Pentium D vs Core Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I am in the process of putting a new rig together and I remember months back the introduction of the Pentium D, but now I see the Core Duo. I know that they are both supposed to be dual core, but what is the difference between them? I see a big difference in price so I am just wondering if I shoud spend big on the Core Duo or settle for the Pentium D? I appreciate your input as always.

I'm not 100% sure but I thik one of the big differences between dual core and core duo is dual core uses more power than the core duo

Core 2 duo absolutely rapes pentium d. Ever the e6300 will own the top of the range Pentium D.

Regards,

Korrupt

As korrupt said, the "slowest" Core 2 duo kills a PD 950 easily. It's amazing how a 1.8 GHZ CPU kills a 3.0+ GHZ CPU :eek:

Hi mofo,

you asked about "Core Duo" (which is not related to the "Core 2 Duo"). perhaps it was a typo, but I'll assume it wasn't because you wrote it 3 times.

The Pentium-D is the newer version of the Pentium-4 lineup. it uses socket-775 (for desktop PC's only)

The Core Duo is the newer version of the Pentium-M lineup. it uses socket-479 (for Notebook PC's only, with the exception of an aftermarket socket-479 desktop board/adapter from Asus)

The Core 2 Duo is Intel's newest and fastest processor lineup. they are currently the most powerful desktop processors available. they use the same socket-775 as the Pentium-D, but only certain motherboards/chipsets support them.

Cheers :wave:

Thanks KingCody for noticing this. Although I assume he just wasnt aware of the differences between core 2 duo and core duo.

Perhaps if he takes the time to post back, he'll clarify this for us:)

Regards,

Korrupt

How 'bout giving the low-down on all three type?

I too am interested in understanding the performance differences between "Dual Core", "Core Duo" and "Core 2 Duo". I am aware of some of the technical differences, e.g. manufacturing, 32bit vs. 64bit, faster FSB, etc. But what does that mean in the real world? I looked on Tom's and Anandtech and couldn't find a simple answer.

So, for a non-gamer home user - i.e. assume light to moderate photo and video editing, CD ripping and CD/DVD burning - what are the relative performance marks for Pentium D 3GHz, Core Duo 2.0 GHz and Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz? I'm just throwing out those speeds because they're more affordable than the maxed-out chips.

In the real world, the Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz will render videos and rip DVDs faster than the 3 GHz Pentium D as well as the Core Duo. The Core duo is solely a notebook based processor, so it really doesn't even come close to Core 2 Duo, which is used in both notebooks as well as desktops. The Pentium D's were a morose attempt by intel, but the company redeemed itself with the Conroe series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back