Pirate or Constitutionalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklantis

I dont want to call names and if this is the wrong forum for this debate please tell me. I was accused of attempted piracy by TS special forces for trying to circumvent xps authentication process. I did make note that I do have 1 paid for licensed windows xp os but have 7 computers. I want to know what the difference is between copying a movie or an audio cd you have purchased and coping software you have purchased. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the supreme court ruled, with the advent of VCRs, that you can make copies of your purchased product for personal use.

If you read the End User License Agreement (EULA) for Windows, it prohibits what you are doing. Each PC must have it's own licensed copy of Windows.

Yes, the software license prevails. If may allow anything, but frequently, OS software
(except the Open Movement) allows one installed version and one copy of the media
for backup.

EULA=semantics?

I realize this is a TS forum and I dont mean to belabor the point, but the EULA is just a nifty way of saying I never acutally own the software; hence I cannot copy it. That being said, what if I consistently reinstall every 30 days? Is that unethical? Or, I assume if I had the knowledge to properly edit the registry, I could eliminate the trial period. Am I not allowed to edit the registry? In fact, I have an older computer that the OS installs on and never needs to be authenticated - go figure. You are technically right about the EULA, but I believe the spirit of the EULA is to stop someone from illegally selling pirated versions of the software. While I will respect your forums wishes, I believe this is a non-issue because I have 1 purchased licensed copy. Remember, it was microsoft which was succesfully prosecuted in federal court for its monopolistic business practices, albiet by the Clinton administration.

If you're good enough to edit the registry to avoid the trial period, God bless you --
1000's have tried.

it's your system so you can do as you please -- just consider ALL the consequences :)

As you have already said, it's semantics, this thread is pointless.

However and sincerely, best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back