PlayStation 3 also gets Netflix streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member

Nine million PlayStation 3 owners in the United States will now have the option of streaming movies and TV shows from Netflix's online catalog as long as they are subscribers, of course. Just last week we reported that Netflix enjoyed of strong Q3 financials and that a non-US streaming service was being planned for 2010. The company claims it has over 11 million subscribers in the US.

Although the "Watch Instantly" streaming service got off to a slow start with a very limited library, most recently the company stated that 42% of its subscribers had used the streaming service in the last quarter. In addition to the PC, the PS3 joins the leagues of other consumer electronics devices that already supported Netflix's service including Microsoft's Xbox 360, Roku set-top boxes, TiVo DVRs, and a number of Blu-ray players.

The PS3 Netflix application is expected to become available next month.

Permalink to story.

More info about it: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/netflix-coming-soon-to-playstation-3/

"Initially, watching movies instantly streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system will be enabled by a free, instant streaming Blu-ray disc that is being made available to all Netflix members. The free instant streaming disc leverages Blu-ray’s BD-Live™ technology to access the Internet and activate the Netflix user interface on the PS3 system, which must be online via Wi-Fi or Ethernet."

Hopefully later down the line it will be part of the XMB, but I don't mind having to insert a disc. It's better than not having it at all, imo.

hello ...

one message though to SONY !!!

i know you need to respect some rules & whatsoever.. but please do take in consideration that there are other countries.

i'ts been a pain being on PSN / PS Store just because my small island is not listed, maybe with 1 million population & maybe less than 100 consoles sold, we have no value, yet even for 1 unit sold i would consider the trust placed in the product.

i'm not saying that SONY needs to create a PSN for each & every small markets around the globe, but please do propose a OTHER COUNTRIES section, that allows any credit cards & any IP addresses for most worldwide services. such account will not accept credit cards from other existing zones that have a PSN service ... is it that hard to do?

I will not get Netflix for even if i had some PSN account, will never work because of my IP address.

another sad non Netflix, Vidzone, PlayTV, etc etc ... PS3 owner, spending a lot on games & Blu-rays ONLy !!!
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back