PlayStation Store recommendations coming in firmware 3.41

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sony has revealed details about an upcoming firmware update that adds game and video recommendations to the PlayStation Store. While browsing through the details of a particular title, you will see a new "You May Like" section which lets you browse additional content that may be of interest.

Recommendations are based on purchases of other PlayStation Network members who have bought the same item you're looking at. Various web merchants like Amazon use a similar feature. In addition to helping you discover games you may not know about, the feature should bag Sony a few extra sales – a win win as long as you're not a compulsive shopper.

Sony hasn't provided an exact release date for firmware update 3.41, but it's expected "shortly" and the recommendation features should be live by the end of July. Additionally, a minor stability update is in the pipeline for the company's PlayStation Portable, but again, no specific date is mentioned.

Permalink to story.

good now let me install an alternate OS, the only reason I bought the box!

hope you have a fat boy, because the slims don't do Alternative OS... and why would you buy a PS3 to use as anything but a game console or bluray media player? if you want to experiment with operating systems there are these brilliant little machines that exist called computers.

EXCellR8 is correct. Building a cheap computer out of spare parts to experiment different types of OS is the way to go.

hello ...

already updated, teh feature will be activated by the end of this month, yet i can't wait to see what else this new FW brought to us.

& yes, the computer is for other OS + gaming, consoles are only for gaming & as media player.

cheers!

uhhh I had to wait 20 mins to play a bit of MAG, this new firmware took a very long time to install on my system

I don't understand, who's asking for these features to be implemented? Last update was a fairly poor video editor, who wanted to cut together videos on their PS3?

It kind of feels like they are wasting time when they could be concentrating on what people are really asking for even if it takes them longer.

I guess its not a half bad feature, but I never buy anything off the PS Store - so its hard to give me suggestions. Would be nice if it would recommend games based off of what you have played, with maybe a weight scale for time or achievements earned in a specific game.

I don't care for Recommendations, just find a way for demos to download and install in the background like Xbox 360 can, a way for the web browser to fit to the full screen without me having to scroll left and right (up and down is common so whatever), and a way for me to save while using cheat codes.

and for my ps3 slim to play PS2 games, that was a dumb feature to take out

I do have the fatboy, and why would anyone play games on a console. Keyboard and mouse on a PC rule. I do use it to watch movies too.

hello ...

i guess we'll never see everyone satisfied with things given for free ...

OK! Noted as reference.

cheers!

I had to add to this, I read yesterday that someone had found this update contained more than what Sony said. They also noticed that there is also information about a new patching system that allows for incremental updates.

Right now, PS3 firmware is downloaded and installed in it's entirety. This update will eventually allow for incremental updates so you will only be downloading the new things in the new firmware instead of everything all over again.

Source:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=257567

Back