Please critique my hardware

I am building a new system for editing/rendering and have two options currently - any comments, critiques are welcome
option 1
core i7 4770 3.4GHZ quad core processor
MSI Motherboard with 4 memory slots, USB 3.0 and all of the goodies
32 GB of corsaire 1600 RAM
120GB solid state hard drive
3TB mechanical hard drive
2GB dedicated graphics card XFX R7-260x
Noctua CPU cooler with 2 fans

or Option 2
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 CA-PH530-B1 Black ATX Full Tower Case
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan X4
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I am building a new system for editing/rendering and have two options currently - any comments, critiques are welcome
option 1
core i7 4770 3.4GHZ quad core processor
MSI Motherboard with 4 memory slots, USB 3.0 and all of the goodies
32 GB of corsaire 1600 RAM
120GB solid state hard drive
3TB mechanical hard drive
2GB dedicated graphics card XFX R7-260x
Noctua CPU cooler with 2 fans

or Option 2
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 CA-PH530-B1 Black ATX Full Tower Case
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan X4
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Well your first option does not have much information on it so based off the two sets of specs alone I would say go with your second option since your mostly doing editing.

However, what program are you useing for video editing might I ask? If you are using Adobe, I would definitly go with an AMD card since Adobe likes OpenCL and AMD cards are better at OpenCL than Nvidia.

I would say your selections for the second are quite nice, just swap the 660 for something like this and you will be good if your using Adobe.

Also, I would jump your PSU up to a 600 watt if your going with this setup. 500 Would be to close to the bare minimum and for last-ability I would go with a 600 or 650 watt minimum to keep the system open for overclocking and to insure overworking the PSU is not an issue.

Your choices are odd. You specify 'video editing/rendering', yet you've chosen parts that are severely lacking and instead put in expensive Noctua fan.

What's your budget? And your honest usage of the PC? We're gonna need pretty much full re-build.

Since this is an average build, sticking with the GPU recommended power ratings will be sufficient. They have already calculated overhead for an average build.

I don't think those Noctua fans are worth it they're like $20 each.
And if you're not overclocking, I would say that the UD3H, 4770k, and U14S also a a bit much.
If you won't be overclocking, I think you'll be satisfied with a 4770, G1.Sniper B85, and a modest Thermalright TS120, or even just the stock cooler or silverstone argon.

The problem is that this is a generic cookie-cutter build, with zero customisation to suit the intended use. Need to wait for OP to come back with more details.

Your choices are odd. You specify 'video editing/rendering', yet you've chosen parts that are severely lacking and instead put in expensive Noctua fan.

What's your budget? And your honest usage of the PC? We're gonna need pretty much full re-build.

I will be converting/editing/rendering video 75% of the use of the machine using windows 7 and adobe elements, pinnacle (2 I am comfortable with) or other yet purchased software. The build is one that was suggested to me as I will not be building it. SO I welcome any improvements. I am comfortable spending up to $1500 exclusive of the monitors, keyboard, etc.

If your going to be doing Video Editing pretty much exclusively, it will be beneficial to get a high end processor and a heavy amount of ram with a decent GPU to handle it all.

Try this for a suggestion for your build since you said 1500:
NZXT Phantom Case
Western Digital Black 1tb 7200RPM
Seasonic 550Watt Gold PSU
Gskill RipJawZ 16gb (4x4gb) DDR3 1866
Gigabyte X79 Motherboard
i7 4930k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte R9 270

This is what I would do at that budget (Or at least close) for a Video Editing build. It would depend on what your wanting to overall do. Having the 6 Core 12 Thread Ivy Bridge-E processor would be one of the better options for a Video Editor because that will help with rendering greatly. The GPU is really whatever you want to fit in though I would try and get a decent one, I suggested an AMD card for the OpenGL performance but if you would rather Nvidia just swap with like a GTX 760. The Seasonic PSU is a good brand and its gold efficiency which this should be more than enough for your needs. 16gb of ram spread around 4 sticks is great with the built in Quad Channel controller in the Ivy Bridge-E Processor. The cooler Master cooler is good in general for the price and you will need a cooler in general since there is no stock cooler on the Ivy Bridge-E series which should be more than enough. You might want more HDD space but that HDD is a good choice and I did not see a reason for an SSD in a video editing build unless you have a 2000+ budget. The case is whatever you fancy, I just picked a good brand and good choice that I usually prefer.

Hope this helps.

You'll want to purchase a couple more HDDs too. Need one for source media, one for scratch disk, one for output disk. 1TB WD Blacks are good, or you can get 500GB ones x2 if you feel like it.

I'm not sure which GPU is best for the Pinnacle2 program, sorry.

Back