Please help find motherboard details

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv13uk

Heres the problem, ive got a group of 6 cables that need to be plugged into my motherboard...I was following a 'build your own pc guide'...and then it said refer to the manual. The pc I was building is rather old, for example it has a 12GB hard drive with 64mb of RAM, Windows 98 etc, and as a result I dont have a manual. As far as I can tell the version is MS5182 VER:1, also reffered to as N1996, and uses Ali M1541 A1 something or other (not really sure what :D). Most of the parts are made in Taiwan if it helps. The cables I need to connect are: speakers, reset switch, power switch and the H.D.D LED, as well as two unidentified connections. I would greatly appreciate any help because, whilst it wouldnt be a great loss if the PC did'nt work, this is supposed to be a kind of test my dad set me (take apart and fix an old computer) so I can prove ill be able to put together a pc im hoping to buy later in the year but I didnt realise the motherboard manuals had been lost when I took it apart...not a nice suprise. Hope you can help :)

[CENTER]rv13uk[/CENTER]

RV
Although the more experienced recognised this as an MSI board and so new where to look. You'll more often than not get a link through punching numbers like this into a search engine.

I did actually spend 2+ hours googeling every number I saw trying to find the motherboard details, I just kindof used this as a last resort. This site has never let me down yet in moments of desperation :D but I dont use it the second I realise Ive got a problem, always best if you can find it out yourself I feel, helps you to learn. :)

[CENTER]rv13uk[/CENTER]

Glad to hear it - the right approach. I checked it out and there were not clear links. Interestingly had you search for MS-5182 the first result mentioned Microstar this should have led you to their site.

rv13uk said:
ive got a group of 6 cables that need to be plugged into my motherboard...As far as I can tell the version is MS5182 VER:1....... The cables I need to connect are: speakers, reset switch, power switch and the H.D.D LED, as well as two unidentified connections.

. Hope you can help :)

[CENTER]rv13uk[/CENTER]

Ditto - I've just found this post after searching on Google. You've probably binned the MoBo by now but in case anyone else stumbles over this, here is the answer....

MS stands for Micro Star. I have an old TIME supplied PC with a K6-2 500MHz chip in it on a MS5182 motherboard and I also have all my case wires unplugged :eek:

I found the manual on the Micro Star website here:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=78932

You download a self extracting zip file (.exe) which has 5 .pdf files in it. IIRC, it is the biggest file - number 2 - that has all the diagrams in it. This helped me with all the wires, except the 2 single unmarked ones...please reply if you worked out what to do with them!!! :D

HTH, Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back