Please Help Me Avoid Getting Sucked In...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech-itis

I'm a newbie here, so your patience (and HELP) is appreciated.

Background:
I've been running XP Home for about 2 years. I've installed (and removed) SP2. Recently, I bought a software application that recommends XP or 2000 PRO.

I received XP Pro when I started my Masters work (from school), but had so many problems I aborted, did a clean install of my Home Ed. and went on from there.

Where I'm at now
With the new software set to arrive soon, I took out the XP PRO disk and started again, getting updated files as requested. I did try to install as an upgrade, but it hung up in the middle, then, when I tried to complete the installation, I got the infamous "blue screen". :hotouch:

OPTIONS:
Try a clean install with the XP PRO CD from before - I have a Mirra personal server, so my files would be safe, but my first experience has me skepical :suspiciou
OR
buy a full new version of XP PRO - which brings me to my question.
Does anyone know what the deal is with these sights like easydownloadcenter.com ?

I can't find any information. This site did let me look to see if the software I want (besides the OS) is available for download, but they have NO other information available prior to signing up (and providing a payment)

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THESE GUYS?? :confused:

Boot the coputer from the XP Pro cd and do a full format of the XP partition and then install the OS.

Easydownload:
RR 1 Box 1705
Kunkletown, Pennsylvania 18058
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: EASYDOWNLOADCENTER.COM
Created on: 12-Oct-03
Expires on: 12-Oct-05
Last Updated on: 11-Mar-05

Administrative Contact:
Drury, Brandon brandon@x-support.com
Sample Drury Services
100 Jefferson Ave
Scott City, Missouri 63780
United States
800-322-7823 Fax -- 800-322-7823
Technical Contact:
Drury, Brandon brandon@x-support.com
Sample Drury Services
100 Jefferson Ave
Scott City, Missouri 63780
United States
800-322-7823

Not sure if that is service or his real name.

The XP-upgrade CD can be used for a full install from scratch, like vegasgmc said.
But at some stage you will be asked for legitimate proof of a previous Windows version. You then stick in a W98/ME/W2K/NT CD, XP checks, if OK remove it and put the XP-disk back in. That is all.

Good Advice! Thanks...

Thanks so much... My guess is that I didn't have my personal server when I got the CD, and I couldn't afford to loose (or take the time to copy) all of my school files.

[CENTER]I am up and running in Windows XP Pro!![/B] [/CENTER]

This is a great site! I'll be back! :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back