Please help me choose building my New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me chose my hardwares, im a little bit confused with what i want, i want a performance/price for a video editing, design, gaming, and other common application activities. I am not much on overclocking.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 G0 SLA9V Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Motherboard: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX or P5K-E/WiFi-AP
GIGABYTES LGA 775 GA-X38-DQ6 or GA-P35-DS3
MSI LGA 775 X38 Diamond/Platinum or P35 Neo2 - FR/FIR

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
(any recommendations are well appreciated) (CRUCIAL OR GEIL)

Graphics: XFX/EVGA/PNY/BFG NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Display: SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor (max res 1680x1050 pixels, 16.7m colors, 2ms response)
SAMSUNG 906BW Black 19" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor (max res 1440x900 pixels, 16.7m colors, 2ms response)

Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (any recommendations are well appreciated)

Case & PSU: Antec Sonata III 500W (any recommendations are well appreciated)

Thanks for helping

Wow. I'm impressed. You have almost EXACTLY the same design that I am trying to put together. Applause for that one.

BUT! only almost. as a rule of thumb, case+power supply deals are never that great. the power supply they throw in is never as high quality as it should be. if i want to find a good power supply to go with, i look at an unofficial list a friend of mine found.

http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsquad/board/message?board.id=hardware&thread.id=111309

it lists the most common power supplies from best to worst. i'm aiming for a top of tier 2 power supply. the antec neoHE 500watt.

and for the case, i'm looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

it comes with 3 fans built in. it's a mid tower so it should comfortably fit the motherboard, as well as any power supply you choose.

otherwise, the design looks incredibly solid both for price and performance.

the graphics card doesn't really need to be changed. it's very powerful for the price. the only card that's slightly better is the 8800 GTS 512mb. but it only exceeds the GT by a tiny bit. so it's barely worth paying an extra 100 dollars.

the memory you chose is a fantastic brand. corsair is the best in the business alongside Mushkin. Crucial is only SLIGHTLY underneath them. i can't tell you much about Geil because i've never heard of them. but i would stick with the corsair brand you've chosen. they're quite good.

the processor is as good as it gets in terms of dual cores. the only thing better is the quad core Q6600. and if you wanted the q6600, you'd have to shell out another 80 dollars or so. considering that, the e6750 is the best thing you can buy unless you've got the cash to spare. it would provide an even bigger boost in performance. but if you're not one for paying out the bum, then don't bother going with much else.

Seagate is a good brand. the barracuda is a fantastic hard drive. no problems there.

those are my recommendations. hope i've helped :)

Good setup, but I'd advise you to change to a cheaper motherboard (the GA-P35-DS3L is an excellent one) since you won't need all the bells and whistles that the X38 motherboards provide. As far as RAM goes, get either brand and it won't really make much difference since you're not going to overclock. IMO, if you're living in the US, get the G.SKILL 2GB kit from Newegg for $50. Also, since you're into video editing, I'd recommend upgrading to 4GB of RAM since it'd help a lot with your work. But keep in mind that if you do this, you'd need to buy a 64-bit OS, since 32-bit ones can't support that much RAM.
Get the 8800GT from eVGA, XFX or BFG, since they're the top three in the business as far as reliability and warranty goes.
Lastly, your case is an excellent one and comes with a superb quality PSU so no worries there. Ditto with the HDD and monitors.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back