Politics and Lawyers Get in the Way of Citywide WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maikeru

Burlingame, Calif. - San Francisco's promised experiment with free wireless Internet access may end the same way a summer of free love did some 40 years ago: with broken promises and a mean hangover.

Last week, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors put off a vote to approve a contract with EarthLink to set up a wireless network as it dickered with the company over the deal terms. Meanwhile, a struggling EarthLink is now reviewing its municipal wi-fi plans as it tries to push its way back to profitability.

And now the crunchies--and San Francisco is the homeland of all things crunchy--are throwing out one idea and worry after another, from fears about the health risks of wi-fi to plans to give residents access to a city-operated fiber-optic network.
All of this jockeying for position has apparently given EarthLink cold feet, which could prove to be disastrous.

All I want to do is be able to head into the City and get WiFi for free. Is that so much to ask? :rolleyes: :p

Well, yes, maybe. If you don't live in the city, who is going to pay for your connection and support. Somebody must, as it costs money to support the idea, regardless of whom is selected.
One can assume that residents will pay with their taxes, but I'll bet a connection is passworded, and when the unions, lawyers, and rich conservatives get their teeth into it, the costs will be higher.
I have been in 11 cities with "available" wireless, but there was always a cost or a hidden cost of at least $3.00 a day on up to $5.00 an hour.
But I would be delighted to pay a reasonable fee for wireless service. I expect to see wireless provided to all city residents within the next twelve years... just as many universities provide their students and facutlty now... at a cost that is often hidden.

I know quite a few people that work within San Francisco city limits who would gladly pay fees per day to have access to a a citywide Internet service. Even if the service is somewhat unstable, just having the ability to get online on a laptop while away from the office will prove to be invaluable for a number of people in S.F.

I just hope something can be worked out soon. :eek:

All the studies show that nearly everyone would welcome it. Nobody has figgered out how to cost it out, and surmount the politics of free internet that does not benefit some sectors of society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back