Pop-Ups

SNGX1275

I know our site needs to have advertisements and such, but I just checked 5 subforums and many times when I hit back I got at least 1 popup window. It didn't used to be like this, is everyone expierencing this? I'm not even closing them after they pop up (leaving them open sometimes prevents them from comming back). Right now I have 6 pop up windows waiting for me to close them. IMO thats too many to have to deal with.
I'll deal with it if it has to be like this, but it would be much better if just 1 or 2 would come up on my typical session rather than 6.

Mine has always been like that - I complained about it long ago. The only thing I could do to keep from going crazy is add these pop-up host addresses to a loopback in my hosts file. Only problem with doing this is that pressing back doesn't go back unless you hit it as many times as there are banners.

LNCPapa

Hey guys, I'm glad you have opened this thread with your complaints, believe me, that's absolutely not the way it's supposed to be, in fact I was about to make a post on the news regarding the use of pop under advertisement on TechSpot, what's their current purpose and their supposed behaviour.

The reason I haven't posted yet is because I'm still testing a few different banner codes around the site and I've been doing so for the past couple of weeks, though what you say is a pretty serious issue that needs to be remediated right away...

I don't like pops any more than you do however it's true they are helping the site with the bills and I did find that having them around with a frequency cap couldn't hurt much (that is one pop at a time, max. two per session/day), at least that's the way it's been working for me here, so I've been ok with it... now you tell me a different thing, I'd like you to help me out then so we can have this issue worked out as soon as possible.

Julio-
Glad you are opposed to excessive pop-ups like we are, I remember Papa saying something to me in the channel a little while ago but at that time I was only getting 1 or 2 per session, which I didn't consider anything severe. I told him to send you a message because I thought that back in the day we had a similar situation and you got things under control.
I don't think any of us are opposed to a pop-up every now and then because we all know it helps the finances, I just thought when only visiting a few of the forums (cause not all have new posts since my last visit) getting 6 pop-ups was too much.

You are absolutely right SNGX, however the kind of help I want you guys to provide me goes in the form of feedback on how pop code is behaving on your computers... if you are only getting one or two pops per session max. (how it's supposed to be) or multiple pops (in which case I would have to take even more severe measures).

I'm modifying ad codes as we speak and I should be done in a few minutes, then it will take about an hour until the config takes place, so if possible start reviewing tomorrow and let me know if you have any further inconviniences.

I just fired up IE and went to the forums and got 0 popups, then I checked the new threads in several subforums, each time hitting back and still got 0 popups.
I then went to the main page, 0 popups.

But, I was just talking to Poertner_1274 and he got 2 when he went to the main page. I just asked him if he got any if he went to the forums and he said no, but "I thought I did earlier..... maybe not".

I just entered the site and this time I got no pops on the frontpage, then one pop on the forums main page and that's about it.

With the kind of code implementation I have put up, the behaviour of pops should be: one pop under for unique IP's (then capped for 24 hours) and a second one at the same time if you are coincidentally detected as an unique IP from the second pop code... if not, that second could appear in some later browsing or just never appear.

Does this sound ok to you?

We need more feedback! :D

That works for me. I haven't gotten any pop ups recently since I first got on this morning.

I just got another pop-under when going to main page. But if things work well I think that is acceptible.

I will quote and link to this thread later on the news hopefully to gather some more feedback though I'm sure most people will be reasonable with the one/two pop measure.

Now of course, the idea would be getting more feedback so we could assure people aren't getting any more than that with the current implementation.

Papa is doing well - no pop-up or unders today - yet. If I only get one or two then I'll be happy with that - I have already removed the modded hosts file from its folder so I'm seeing banners and everything again. I'll let you know if any problems start.

LNCPapa

I am experienceing some serious slow forum browsing tonight. I am not sure if it is my campus or the forums, but when it tries to load the banner at the top of the screen it takes FOREVER........ Literally 10 seconds, and I am on a 10mbit connection. Go figure, I'll let you know if it is me by tomorrow if it clears up, but wondering if anyone else has this problem...

Page is comming up fine, but top right banner is now displaying "page cannot be displayed". But I don't have to wait 10 seconds for the page to load up.

Pop Up Ads on site

I don't mind the pop up ads since the site is so good. I've learned much from the site these last 2 years. Tweak 3D was my favorite page until i discoverd this one. I hardly go to Tweak 3D anymore. Keep up the good work.

RKNYC

I visit the site every morning, but I'm considering finding a new site these days. I get 2 pop-under ads every morning when I go to the main page, and then 1 more when visiting the forums. Kind of annoying for me. it's like i almost consider not visiting b/c i know im just going to have to close those 2 windows with the same stupid ads. just thought i'd share
--Krugger

Yes this can get quite annoying from time to time. But it is necessary to keep the site running. The script is setup to only give you those 3 popups all day. It can't be that bothersome that you would leave Techspot and find somewhere else to get your information from can it?

BTW good to hear both of you like the site. Hope you stick around and can possibly help others with their problems.

Originally posted by TS | Julio
if you are only getting one or two pops per session max. (how it's supposed to be) or multiple pops (in which case I would have to take even more severe measures).

I only ever get 2 pop-ups per session.

I'll gladly accept, look and click banners... But pop-ups are a no no. While it makes me feel dirty to undermine the dwindling economy of the Internet, I use proxomitron ( www.proxomitron.org ), which is a rather full featured ad blocker. I have it set to block popup ads specifically.

There's worse things than having an ad shoved in your face, but egh... :blackeye:

Back