Poser 7 and optimizing Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

vale46

Hi all,

I use an animation program called Poser 7 and to say it is processor hungry would be a MASSIVE understatment. I have a brand new PC, its a PackBell I-xtreme. It has an intel core2 quad Q6600 2.40Ghz.chip set with 3gig of ram and 500gig of HD and i am running 32bit Vista Premium.

Now then, it also have an Nvida card which uses 1.5gig shared memory and has a dedicated 256mb on board.

So thats the gear, the program uses complex wire frame characters and very detailed texture mapps to create very realistic renders, either animated or stills for artistic application. All in all its a bloody good program...but !!!!

I have been told that Poser only uses 1 processor although i cant confirm that, When i have been applying texures the memory of the PC seems to fill up and unless i save and close, Poser ends up telling me there isnt enough memory to load the textures...frustrating. Also The program would sometimes crash just opening it but this has been resolved by someone descovering that in the Nvidia controll panel the threaded optmising should be set to ON rather then just default Auto.....this has indeed stopped the program crashing.

What i would like to know is can i optmise my PC or Vista to give Poser more Power/Ram/Cache or something ?

I am not too good with the tech side of things so if you have any ideas please use "****-ed talk" so i can undestand.

Just one last thing, I do weekly virus scans, defrag, updates etc so i would like to think my PC is running ok.

Thankyou in advance for any suggestions,

Kindest regards,

Vale.

P.S. here is a link for some info about Poser 7

http://shop.smithmicro.com/v2.0-img/operations/smicro/site/511179_poser7/poseruk.html

As the video card has both shared and dedicated memory, I would try to disable the SHARED.
This will reduce the interaction on your installed 3gig of ram.

don't know -- poke about in the Control Panel -->video/monitor area

No availble options there that i can see. I am looking more at tried and tested setting changes that can help speed up or free up wasted processor or ram time, and or usage. That was a gob full LOL

Been a newbie in the field of changing default settings i dont feel confident about "poking" around at this stage, thanks all the same :)

Now, is the video card integraded or is it a seperate card? If its on its own, that means it has its own 256mb of ram on it, disregard the 1.5gb of shared ram thing. If its integraded, that usually means it might have its own 256mb of ram, but most of the time the integraded video card will use system ram. What that means from what i can make out from what you tried to explain, it uses 256mb of system ram, and can use up to 1.5gb of ram? Im not sure.

As for the 1 processor, don't worry. It will use all 4 of your cores, what 1 processor support means is if you have 2 or more physical processors (such as having 2 Q6600's) then it will only use 1.

Now, if you have a integraded video card, get a good PCI-E one, that should make it run faster, as a lot of texturing and stuff is offloaded to the Graphics processor, which in the case of a integraded video card is the processor.

Quantex_rox cheers for the reply, i maybe didnt explain my system well enough doh !!!

The Nvidia Geforce graphics card is one that slots into the motherboard as far as i can tell from the Nvidia site, Uses PCI or something, it has its own memory onboard 256mb but can share 1.5gig, thats its stats,

On the Renderosity poser forum someone (dont know if there a tech head or wannabe) stated Poser doesnt rely on ram and said getting a better graphics card would be a waste of money, it relies on processor power and i would like to think i have a good enough PC to run it yet i still run out of memory under heavy use.

So i am proper lost now LOL

The Nvidia Geforce graphics card is one that slots into the motherboard as far as i can tell from the Nvidia site, Uses PCI or something, it has its own memory onboard 256mb but can share 1.5gig, thats its stats,
then the Nvidia card has a control panel to configure the options; disable the shared memory usage
On the Renderosity poser forum someone (dont know if there a tech head or wannabe) stated Poser doesnt rely on ram and said getting a better graphics card would be a waste of money, it relies on processor power and i would like to think i have a good enough PC to run it yet i still run out of memory under heavy use.
hum; quiet contrary to normal expectations and usage; FEW applications
can or should bypass the GPU settings. GPU speed and use of onboard ram is
fundamental. "Getting a better Card" is very subjective anyway and you have an
acceptable card anyway -- just learn to set the options you need :)

I have looked through the Nvidia controll panel and there is nothing in the realms of an option for disabling shared memory ???? just video, colours and 3d options ? maybe its vista that shares with the card? rather then the card sharing vista's memory ? you see i told you i dont know nowt hahahahaha.

Is there another way of finding this sharing of ram options ?

Thanks again jobeard ;)

Can you get the make/model of the card so I can find some documentation?

the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 graphics card appears to be missing the memory control!

sorry

mmmmmm, might be because it comes with a package pc so it will be the bottom end of the Nvidia cards i suspect. ?

Do you think it would be benificial to get a better card as my wife is wondering what to get me for Xmas hahahahahah

A big thanks jobeard for you help, much appreciated mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back