Possible Motherboard problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, yeah. Stupid person comes on here and asks for help with his computer problems.

Around 5:00 PM two days ago, I had started to notice some strange problems with my video rendering, where the games would halt for around 10 seconds every 5 seconds, so I instinctly thought I needed to restart my computer because my computer was probably using a lot of memory. After restarting, the problem still persisted, and I then tried reinstalling my video drivers. After all that, it still didn't work. It was about midnight before I decided to stop messing around and go to sleep.

The next day, at about 2:00 PM, I noticed that my sound deicded to randomly poop out, and refused to work (both the SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer5.1 card and the onboard sound stopped working). I also tried reinstalling the drivers for those, too, to no avail.

So then, I stupidly reformat my C:\ drive, and reinstall my OS, and that still didn't fix anything.

Could this be a motherboard problem, or is there something else I can do to fix these problems?

EDIT: Computer Information:
CPU: Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz
BRAND: Sony Vaio PCV-7732
MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET: I'll have to look up on that.
VIDEO CARD: 8xAGP GeForce 4 Ti 4200 Verto 64mb
SOUND CARD: Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1

NOTE: The computer's about 2 years old now.

If you did a format and reïnstalled your os and it's still doing those things you might try to load the bios defaults.

Maybe that helps. If it doesn't try flashing your bios with the latest verion, maybe it's a hardware conflict that has been solved in the new bios release.

Greets Crazy,

PS: Good luck

You may want to try swapping out some hardware to try and pinpoint a possibly failing device. Clean out any dust bunnies and reseat your RAM. If you've got more than one RAM DIMM, then try swapping the DIMMs around to see if a faulty module may be your headache.

Like Crazy said I would try to check the Bios and try loading the defaults. If that still doesnt work try to run the OS in safe if you can and run scandisk to see if any file has a bad link or is missing.

Okay.. I've found the actual problem. For the sound, a driver reinstall fixed it, so that's no longer a problem.

About the video card, though, that's a problem. I am thinking that the problem is that the video card is dying. Every so often I'll just be doing various things on my computer, and the screen will garble and the computer will crash, so I'll have to try swaping video cards and see if that fixes it. If so, I'm gonna have to get a new decent card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back