Possible to hook up 2 wireless routers? wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got a linksys WRT54GX2 wireless router and a Belkin Wireless G+ Router and 1 Cable modem.

My house has 3 floors but my cable modem is on the top floor and my linksys router for sum reason cant reach the bottom floor desktop maybecause the network card is crapping out ro smth but i dont wana buy a new network card if i have 2 routers lying around.

Soo what i want to do if its possible is 1 router top floor braodcasdting to the 3rd + 2nd floor and then hook up another router on the 2nd floor to broadcast to the bottom floor desktop.

is there anyway to do this without hanging a cord from the top floor down to the 2nd floor router??

RECAP of what i want:
router + cable modem on 3rd floor
router on 2nd floor
no wire hanging down the staircase from 3rd to 2nd floor router.

Do you have basement or where does the main coax cable line come in for the cable modem. How come it's all the way on the 3rd floor? Should start from the basement or 1st main floor then use the other router if it has the feature to used as access point on the 3rd floor.

well i duno where the main cable line comes from prolly basement im guessing but like. vice versa. if i hook it up in basement top floor will be weak signal. sooo im really just looking for is it possible to hook up any 2 wireless routers without using cables between the 2 routers?

so like:
--- hardline
++++ Wireless

MODEM-----(ROUTER#1) located 3rd floor
+
+
(ROUTER #2) located 2nd floor
+
+
(Desktop) located 1st floor

I have basement ---- first floor --- second floor -- attic room
I got a wired router and access point in the basement where there is a family room (drywalled) That gives me wireless in the basement to the first floor. Second floor I have another access point in there in a closet for wireless that covers the entire second floor.

But you still should start from the point where the coax comes into the house with the cable modem then to a wireless router. You can run the wires outside the house. Ethernet cable can stand cold and heat. I've been doing that for over 10 years now.

If you have cable modem to the wireless router you'll still need some swtiches.. What you should get is a wireless drop bridge which would make anything wired wireless without running Ethernet cable throughout the house.. That would just tap into the wireless signal. I have one those cost $50 bucks. It's also 4-port switch. Any wired will then become wireless.

Router 3rd (put this near a windows)------- Router 2nd (put it near a window) ---- Desktop 1st.---

yes you can -- chose channels at the extreme ends; eg 1 on the first and 11 on the other.

if you walk a laptop thru the building, it will disconnect from one and reconnect to the other.

btw: there's a connection issue for the chainning:

Code:
modem --- wired---router(wireless) #1
                       | (ch 1)
2nd floor =========================
                       |
                   wireless #2 ... wireless systems
                       | (ch 11)
basement ========================
                       |
                   wireless #3 ... (ch 1 again) wireless systems

Your wireless systems will attach to the strongest signal (with your help),
Getting from #1-#2 will be a trick and when #3 is running, keeping #2 connected to #1
may be an issue.

Make sure you set each connection as a preferred connection.

jobeard said:
btw: there's a connection issue for the chainning:

Code:
modem --- wired---router(wireless) #1
                       |
2nd floor =========================
                       |
                   wireless #2 ... wireless systems
                       |
basement ========================
                       |
                   wireless #3 ... wireless systems

Your wireless systems will attach to the strongest signal (with your help),
Getting from #1-#2 will be a trick and when #3 is running, keeping #2 connected to #1
may be an issue.

Make sure you set each connection as a preferred connection.

Good network design plan ther jobeard... Yes you're right about using the different channels 1 and 11. I do the samething here. Also you can change the channels on the wireless laptop too so they don't conflict with each other using 1 and 11 also. If you have more than one. You can set the wireless laptop to match the wireless router/access point channel too.

I know that Apple wireless routers allow you to extend the wireless network meaning you can have one router on the first floor sharing the Internet connection on the computers on the first floor & a router on the 2nd floor (which is "connected" to the first floor router via WiFi) acting as a gateway for the 2nd floor machines to the first floor router.

I'm sure they're not the only ones offering such possibilities though.

If the wireless router you buy has a feature to turn off the DHCP and NAT you can use the wireless as access point bridge. I only seen this feature in Dlink and Buffalo wireless routers and Buffalo has tiny switch either on the rear or on the bottom of their wirless G and N routers that allow you to make it bridge. Or you can go into the GUI and turn on access point mode.

Here I have 3 routers -- main is wired only the to other 2 are wireless routers that are now wireless access points. The house and the backyard is covered for wireless signal over 150x150 Feet has been tested out side that extend out to the woods I have. I can sit outside on my patio set and relax well until the winter is gone then I can. House is 1,400 sq full coverage signal bounces from very good to excellent

A lot of routers have the option to turn the router into a bridge for example and possibly other types as far as I know. Though, the correct way to do this would seem to be to use an access point or even range extender possibly depending on the situation, but I guess you want to do this with two routers since this is the hardware you have at your disposal already.

I am trying to achive the same thing but in the basement I have a few old computer that I want to connect to wireless router (because 1st in basement I do not have RJ-45 Network feed and Router has 4 ports) so I can test my lab work.
Is it possible to connect 2nd wireless router to 1st floor wireless router and I can extend my network upto the basement, so I can access internet thru my lab which is in basement?
Current hookup is have D-Link router on 1st floor and I have NetGear Super G Wireless router sitting arount. Also D-Link is attached to cable modem and one PC is going in to D-Link (Wired) and works fine. I am able to hook up my laptop on wireless and I can browes without any problem. Now I want to connect NetGear in the basement and have internet connection to my 4 PC.
This is what I want to achive. Can same one please explain me how can I achive it os it is not possible?

Thanks you in advance for all the tips and help.

Harsh

Second wireless router just disable DHCP and NAT and give it a static IP address with the subnet mask you're using from the main wireless router. Does the Netgear have wireless access features? If not then you need to do that as I have described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back