Possible to use slave drive to boot pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

sat574

Hey guys i just wanted to know if its possible to boot off of a slave drive with a windows os so I could fix my master hd, which also has windows. Is it possible if anyones know pleas let me know. thanks

You will have to swap position of the drives. Make the Master the Slave, and the Slave, Master. Was the current Slave drive's installed OS (Operating System) matched to the motherboard? If not, the drive may not fullly boot the OS

No difference

How you boot to Windows doesn't matter,Master or Slave.
But it's customary to make your OS Primary Master.
Moveing them now might make booting to Windows impossible.
===================
So lets discuss what you want to fix.I'll be glad to help.
;)

well, my computer doesnt boot past the windows xp home login. I also cannot run any tasks. This started when I changed a setting in administrative tools, under ssdp discovery service settings. The only access I get is to safe mode command prompt. I tried windows repair three times and that didnt work. So now i just want to scan the drive and see if theres anything wrong with the registry and original boot files. I tried fixing the sam, security, system, default and software files but i get access denied. I'll try any other ideas but i am not formatting the drive, because I need many of the files. Thanks for any tips, and your replies.

the slave drivers was not loaded on the motherboard but does has windows xp home loaded on it as well

you can boot of your slave drive if it has windows on it

you can press the button when all the bios'y stuff is up on the screen for "Boot Menu" (probably F8) or you could do it the slightly more annoying and longer but permanent way of changing the boot order in your bios

as long as the drive has windows on it you can boot from it by either of those methods, i used to do it all the time (until i formatted my slave drive :p)

Safe mode

You say you can boot to Windows in safe mode.
Windows has safe mode so you can fix problems like yours.
The desktop may not look nice,but
all Windows System Tools should be available.
Did you try a restore? Go back as far as it lists.

iv accessed my task manager and looked atthe processes. I did find that sqlsrver processes is using 99% of my systems memory. I did already try system restore and it did not fix the problem. Any idea how I can fix the problem.

sat574 said:
i cannot access safe mode in regular safe mode, only safe mode command prompt

You're in luck.

Once you have opened Safe Mode with Command Prompt, type this into the command box:

explorer.exe

And press enter.

And behold that you now have a functioning safe mode.

I can't say what is causing your issue without more specific details, however if you're dealing with continual trouble it may be better for you, in the long run, to backup the data you need and attempt a repair install from your XP cd.

If a repair install fails, it's unlikely you'll be able to fix it easily, and a fresh install may be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back