Potential (indexing?) problem with Asus laptop hard drive

LoneSword

To start, I had done some damage to my laptop screen, and now I have to plug it into my desktop monitor. However, I screwed up big time when, while I couldn't see anything on either screen, I shut down the computer during a windows update. Ergo, my hard drive became corrupted.

But I thought I had everything under control; I managed to snag my files back with bootable Linux, hit the drive with DBAN, reformatted it with GParted, and reinstalled Windows 7. The system was running smoothly, and I just had to get my drivers back. However, once I began downloading drivers and installing them, the computer's pace just went to hell. It was somewhat minor at first, but within only a couple days it got worse and worse, functions took longer and longer, and now I'm very lucky if I can even log on. It seems like the computer has no idea where to find the right files.

I feel like I got way too ahead of myself and missed a step during the hard drive renewal process. I did not install a driver for the hard drive, but everywhere I looked, I saw that the motherboard controlled the hard drive, but I can't find anything on the Asus website that even remotely resembles the right driver.

I thought I had it all worked out, but clearly, I don't. Does anyone know what I could've done wrong? I'd post more information about my computer, but I'm not sure what might be needed here.

Back