Power Saving Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two computers one a Dell and one a E Machine. Last night when we booted our computer it immediately said it was in power saving mode, and could not go any further. So we turned on our daughters computer and it does the same thing.
We had our Dell crash about a month ago from a trojan virus and did the recovery on it, and have had Nortan antivirus on. We have not had any more problems with it until last night. Our daughters emachine, has never had any issues until now.

Any suggestions. We tried unplugging everything on both computers, hooking them back up and rebooting them, but the monitors still say power saving mode and turn back off.

Thanks for any help.

Both desktops?

In any case, relocate one or both to another power receptacle and try again.

Do they even try to boot (bios screen flashing on) or just nothing?

Yes, they are both desktops. We have tried moving both of them to another power receptacle, and nothing. When you first boot the computers up the green light on the monitors and the cpu come on and then it goes to blank screen that says power saving mode and turns off (with a orange light). It seems like the cpu is going into power saving mode also. When you move the mouse or type on the keyboard nothing happens. We even tried different surge protectors and nothing.

The way I get this is the monitor(s) won't come out of that mode unless video signal power gets applied and that won't happen unless the computer at least gets into the bios.

So, it seems BOTH are not powering up. Have you had power problems (storms, electrical surges)?

Do the fans even start to spin when you press the power button? Any lights on the mobo, hd spinning sounds?

No storms, no electrical surges that we know of. They will begin to act as if they are booting up when you first turn the cpu on. The fans will spin, lights come on all green, and then when the monitor says power saving mode the cpu also goes into power saving mode the light on it will go orange also and the fans will stop spinning. We tried doing a recovery on the emachine but it will not even begin reading the disk. Even with the disk in it, it goes into that mode.

Well, it appears either the psu failed on them or the cpu or both.

If the cpu heatsink is absolutley loose you could experience such rapid heating during initial boot that you would get thermal shutdown virtually instantaneously. So check the heatsinks are firmly attached.

Any smell of burning at the psu vents? Trying a replacement psu would be another thing to try after heatsink checks.

If the comp was even starting to boot you would/should have heard a beep during the hardware checks.

The fact that BOTH comps failed at once is strange, but not entirely impossible.

I can't think of anything else atm.

Powe Saving Mode

Well I figured it out. The emachine apparently does not like for the CPU and Monitor cords to be switched around although they are the same cords.
With my Dell I unplugged everything again, blew out the ends, held the power button on the cpu for twenty seconds, plugged it all back up, turned it on, and it started working again with no problems. (Very Strange to Us).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back