Power Supply Always On Modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

I need to convert an ATX power supply to be on any time the main switch on the back of it is turned on. It is going to be used to power a passive backplane that has an ATX connector. The backplane will not have an SBC computer card, so I can't go the regular route. Is it safe to just short pin 14 to a ground with a jumper and leave the power supply on all the time that way? The board will have several PCI cards in it that will be drawing 5V power, so a load will always be present, but I don't want to hurt the board or the cards if the shorting trick is a no-no for bringing power to the board rather than just testing the PSU. Thanks for any help.

Hey thanks for your time and the fast reply. I appreciate it. I'm a stranger in a strange land when it comes to this backpland and SBC stuff, but I will master it. I'd just rather not master it by blowing out components and such if I can. Keep the leaning curve as cheap as possible. :)

Right, well its always better to ask before risking equipment. I learned about the shorting trick on here many years ago. I've got an hold power supply I hacked up to just have a wide range of voltages off of a terminal plate, I don't do much with it but I completely wired around the switch and then soldered that pin wire to a ground, if its plugged in its on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back