Power Supply and Shut Down

My father is having issues with his computer and shut down. The computer turns on and runs fine. It shut downs successfully as far as I can tell (Fans stop spinning, power LED turns off) but then starts itself about 2 or 3 seconds later. POST beeps are one short, then about a second later a somewhat longer beep at a different tone (deeper if I remember correctly). I then get a "Power Surge Detected, possible faulty PSU" warning. The computer continues to boot to windows properly if I allow it. I haven't tried holding the power button when windows is running (I don't want to, either), but all other attempts to shut down from windows lead to the same end result. I can shut down from BIOS by pressing the power button and the system does not restart itself. I'm not sure where to look. There have been no problems with the computer during usual use. It runs fine. I don't see any signs of a PSU issue, although I'm not terribly experienced there. Temps are between 30 and 40 degrees C. OS and drivers are fully updated. I'm not entirely certain if BIOS is fully updated or not. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Do I need to look into a new power supply? I'm going to try replacing the CX430M with the Silencer MkII 750W from my gaming computer this weekend to see if that resolves the issues.

Specs:
Intel i3-3245 (Stock cooler)
Asus P8Z77-V LK
Rosewill Line Glow (Only 2 of the 3 blue LED fans are installed)
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB
Crucial Ballistix 4GB
Asus Blu-Ray CDD
Corsair 430 watt CX430M
Running Windows 8.1

A faulty PSU can cause serious damage to other components. My first advice is do not start this PC up again especially in light of the warnings you are receiving. If you know of anyone who has a multimeter to test this psu it please have them do so.

Corsair is known for their quality power supplies but even they can ship out faulty ones. Let us know how the switching of the psu works.

Back