Power supply auto fan speed question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysvxrocks

Hey everyone, I was just wondering... My power supply has 2 fans in it, and both are auto speed. One of the fans is decently quiet at full speed, but the other is REALLY loud. Is there any way to disable the auto fan speed? Can I cut the wires to it and hook it up to an external fan controller somehow? Its the only fan thats making my computer loud... and I would really like to fix that. Thanks to all who can help :) -Dennis

BTW: the power supply is a Kingwin 600 Watt... heres the link to it on newegg..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121002

you got options.

replace the psu
muffle the fan

DO NOT tamper with the PSU. You can shock yourself and destroy the PSU.

Well... before I looked on here, I called Kingwin. And I asked their tech support if having that fan off completely would hurt anything. They said the only reason its there, is to help cool the processor. Turns out, all it took to unhook the fan, was to unplug it. It had the same type of connector as a standard case fan. So thats what I did, and I also removed the fan from the PSU... so all thats left is the grill.

So... sorry to say, I did tamper with it... however I did not get shocked, and the PSU is still working great, (btw alot quieter). Ive taken a PSU apart before... a couple, and have never had a problem of getting shocked... Though I am no expert...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back