Power supply bigger than the tower - frustrated by HP PSU tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

chz435646746

hi, I am going to upgrade my graphic card to ATI 5770 so I need a new power supply which has power about 550--600 watt. But the most frustrating problem is that I failed to find a proper power supply with the correct dimension.
I have an HP pavilion e9300 which uses a very wired power supply tower-150mm(W) 86(H) 140(D). But so far all the PSUs I found is the standard size --150mm(W) 86(H) 150(D) which cannot fit in my setup.

So could any PC God give me some suggestion, please??
Is any PSU with the size of my tower or can I just simply install a bigger PSU which can still successfully power up the comptuer?

Thx in adance.

If the power supply will physically fit your case, it should work fine with your computer. Will the extra 10mm interfere internally with anything inside the PC?

If the power supply will physically fit your case, it should work fine with your computer. Will the extra 10mm interfere internally with anything inside the PC?

There is sort of a tab which is supposed to stablize the PSU if the size matches ( I mean the depth of the PSU is 140mm). But if a normal PSU (depth 150mm) is plugged in, I don't think it would match well with the tab. However, it would probably still work since the screws can still hold the PSU. So I am just not so sure whether I should just purchase a normal-sized PSU. The 140mm-deep ones are really too hard to be found.

Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks a lot.

It should work fine, I had the same problem when I upgraded my video card on my Dell Inspiron 530 case. I just bent the tabs so that I could put in the PSU and screwed it in, its secure enough I've had it in for over a year now. Also if it helps I choose the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V, they have higher wattage models and they're modular which was perfect for me since there's almost no room in these small cases to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back