Power surge on hub port?

sH1fty1985

So I needed to update my blackberry firmware so I went and purchased a USB Sync Cable.

This is the message I got :
Power Surge On Hub Port
A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port.
For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

I've clicked the message numerous amounts of times and it doesn't bring me to anything...

Help?
Thanks,

sH1fty1985

Some people have experienced the same kind of problem. The problem can sometimes be solved by disconnecting some USB-devices (if any). As for the message not working, I have no clue why it does exactly squat.

The discussion referred to below might give you some answers on the surge;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7590_102-52185.html#message1533531

However I think your Blackberry tries to charge itself using the port interface, causing the surce. Perhaps some setting can alter this in the Blackberry itself?

I've tried disconnecting my USB Devices and everything. We did NOT have a power outage, So my computer didn't turn off unexpectedly.

The surge happened before I plugged the blackberry port into it, but I doubt it had anything to do with it.

What happened next was I'd restart my computer with none of my USB cables plugged in.
EXE : Mouse, Keyboard and Headset.
So I started the computer and it would NOT let me access BIOS, allowing me to see if I could change the ports around... instead it game me a message saying
"Overpower to USB Drives.
Computer Shutting Down in 15 Seconds!!!"
The odd thing about that message was that there wasn't any ports plugged in.

I let the computer turn off and opened my case and re routed my power supply just to see if it was the problem.

Went to restart and it gave me the same message, and I couldn't even access BIOS still.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the motherboard, so this means... TIME TO BUILD A NEW SYSTEM.

I'd still like to find out the solution for this problem cause I did some searching on google and different websites and I never really found an outcome..

hmm; disconnect ALL usb devices (of course leave the mouse&KB).

USB can only provide 500ma per slot and if the blackberry is dead, it can easily exceed that limit.

First: The power surge message you saw was not about line power to your computer.
It was about power out through the USB port.

The reason this can happen is the USB ports are, by specification, limited as to the amount of power they may supply to any external device. If your blackberry was severly in need of charge in might be possible to demand more than the port is able to deliver. That would be more likely if the battery were at end of life and requiring more amperage to charge. The point of this rambling is... if the battery in your blackberry is old, you may wish to replace it now before further damage occurs, even to your blackberry.

I do mention another possibility below.

Next: Let me make sure I understand you fully...
After rebooting with NO devices attached to ANY usb port, you get the message
"Overpower to USB Drives.
Computer Shutting Down in 15 Seconds!!!"

OR
was this with only the Blackberry still plugged in?

OR
did you leave the cables attached to the computer and unplug the cables from the devices.

I am thinking you may have a defective cable for your Blackberry, and that this has (in essence) been a power "short", which may have overstressed your usb hardware.
If your usb is on the main board, then you may need to replace the board.

If you can prove the new "sync cable" to be defective, you may have recourse. (or not... depending...).
If it is the battery that was the "short" and your mb is damaged, I think you are "outa luck".

Sorry I don't have better news.

Jobeard and I cross posted... read mine as an elaboration on his.

Jobeard, I'll answer you in this too cause you two have the same relevant points.

Next: Let me make sure I understand you fully...
After rebooting with NO devices attached to ANY usb port, you get the message
OR
was this with only the Blackberry still plugged in?
OR
did you leave the cables attached to the computer and unplug the cables from the devices.

I own a 9700 Blackberry Bold, It was fully charged when I have I put it into the computer to update it, like I always do.

Next : When I restarted the computer after coming across that 15Second USB error message, I unplugged EVERYTHING that required a USB port.

Inclusively a headset, mouse, keyboard + the blackberry and the cord.

I am thinking you may have a defective cable for your Blackberry, and that this has (in essence) been a power "short", which may have overstressed your usb hardware.
If you can prove the new "sync cable" to be defective, you may have recourse.

I tried the cable on my laptop after I came back from the Computer Store around the corner and it seems to me as if it doesn't work so you may be right... But as a defective cord, should the liability cost pay for the expenses it's costing me to get my computer fixed?

When I was in the store, Tom (the owner) had told me that it probably short circuited causing something to the motherboard. Then everything started to give out... I've never had a problem with the power supply cause it's brand new...
It's a Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V Modular Active PFC Power Supply running of a Asus P5K-E PCI-Express motherboard.

USB can only provide 500ma per slot and if the blackberry is dead, it can easily exceed that limit.
The odd thing about it now, is that my Optical Trackpad on my BlackBerry isn't working...
Could this have had something to do with the cord?

cheers

It sounds like your Blackberry also was damaged by the defective cable.

If the cord was mis-wired or if it had a short, then yes...
power may have gotten to your blackberry in a damaging way.

Do not plug it into anything else! You need a technician who can test it for continuity, and determine which pins are connected to which (at opposite ends of the cable) and if any are shorted... eg test it for proper wiring.

Re: Liability and Recourse...
My comments are general in nature and in no way should be considered legal counsel.
Furthermore, they pertain to liability and recourse as generally handled in courts within the United States.
If you wish to pursue, this would probably be handled in Small Claims Court...
and you would need legal counsel.

A few possibly relevant observations:
The store will not be liable - as they are only a "good-faith reseller."
The manufacturer of the cable would bear liability.
Sometimes they try to write disclaimers of liability, which may or may not hold up in your jurisdiction.
Even if you win a judgment against them, getting them to pay may be problematic.
If it is a "third party" (eg not made by Blackberry / Research In Motion and not by your computer maker) ... then your recourse may be quite limited.
Legal costs easily could exceed the value of the damaged goods.

All because of a cable that costs someplace between $5 and $30 US.
Aggravating! :mad:

Back