PPPoE, TCP/IP VS DNS servers IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a working PPPoE connection (to go online) with WinXp + Sp1, I am now planing to build from scratch WinXp + Sp2. This time I want to be really clear with internet connections. I hope experts from this forum can clear my doubts and uncertainties...

My hardware and software config:
1) WinXp + Sp2 on a stand-alone P.C. (no LANs)
2) I am using a ADSL service and my ISP requires me to go with PPPoE
3) A dedicated, D-Link ethernet card just to go on-line
4) I am dialing-up to internet with a ADSL modem (under modem mode and in fact this is what I prefer. I was aware that my modem can be set to router mode)
5) I use RASPPPoE instead of the native PPPoE from XP

So basically there are 2 networking connections:
a) A local area connection (for my NIC) under the "LAN or High-speed internet" section, I named it D-LINK local connection
b) A Dial-up connection which I build using the RASPPPoE. I named this one Streamyx dialup connection (Streamyx is my ADSL service name)

I have no problem setting the required networking connections to go online.
But I am unsure about the below:
1) Do I need TCP/IP protocols for both the connection as in a) and b)
2) I have a list of DNS server IPs from my ISP, if I were to specify the DNS servers to use, which connection should I specify the DNS IPs? Should I input the IPs (under the properties of TCP/IP protocol) for the NIC connection as in a) or the Streamyx dialup connection as in b)?
3) How can I verify a given DNS server IP is correct/working ?

t.s.lim

You do not need TCP/IP on the LAN connection. PPPoE works on the ethernet level, not TCP/IP.

And since you don't need TCP/IP on the LAN connection then there is no way to put in a DNS server address either.

You can test a DNS server by running nslookup with no parameters. Then put in the command "server <server name>" a la server ns1.my.isp. Now you can query any internet names you like by just typing in the hostname. All the queries will go to the server you specified instead of your default one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back