preinstalled software on OEM systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all ,
I am new in the world of building new system and begining to understand the iner working of the computer, now the quetion i have may sound stooped but I must ask , when buying a already made system like (HP Or Compact ......)
it usually comes with many programs like free AOL Or 30 day trial for a micropsoft word or works, if you not going to use them it is taking space on your hard drive. I understand that it can be deleted but what if you just want to install the os without these programs can that be done and if it can how?
thank for your support

well with the reinstall or recovery cd that the eom manufacturer send you.. you might be able to get away with a custom install but not very often cause they have this fancy new feature on the newer compaq's and dells call system recovery and that will just reinstall the same everything like the day you bought it.. so i would get someone that has a retail version of windows reinstall with that or you can just remove all the programs that you don't want through the control panel.. good luck on that though sometimes you have to actually install most of the extras to be able to remove them properly like on some gateway laptops..grrrrr.. so yeah get yourself a fresh copy of windows and go from there man..

here's another scheme they're using:
i have worked on a few dells, that were bought recently direct from factory. they didn't come with a windows-xp disk at all. instead, the files all reside in the directory I386, so the repair/whatnot takes place from there. this way, a person can never do a "complete format and re-install", unless they copy the content of I386 folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back