Problem getting vnc server to work on xp sp2 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 computers behind my router, one with windows 2000, one with xp sp2. I can use my xp machine as a client to log onto the 2k machine with tight vnc, but not the other way around. I have:
turned on my tight vnc server
disabled xp firewall

when I try to connect (with either the computer name or ip address), it says "Failed to connect to server"

Also, I can't telnet to port 5900 on the xp machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

***UPDATE***
I set my display number to "auto" and now it works. However, eventually I want to be able to control both computers via VNC over the web, so I want one to be at port 5900 and one at 5901. How do I do that?

You will have to forward different ports on the router. If your router supports port forwarding with changing the port numbers then PCs can have their VNC servers both on port 5900. On the router, forward port X to PC1:5900 and port Y to PC2:5900.

Cheaper routers do not allow changing port numbers. In that case you can tell the VNC server what port to listen on in the server properties page where you set the password. Change the VNC ports to be different on the PCs.

I do not recommend using the default 5900+ ports. No need to tell the bad guys what protocols you are using. Pick some ports from 50000-65535 range that is officially allocated to "private" use. You could make port X 59000 and port Y 59001 - easy to remember if you know the default VNC ports.

Please keep in mind that VNC is not a secure protocol and it's passwords and content can be sniffed. If you connect to your home computer from a LAN with wannabe hackers on then you may compromise your setup. Some newer VNC flavours have encryption support though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back