Problem installing new 7600GS video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble installing my new video card, an nvidia 7600 GS AGP card with 512MB RAM. I'm replacing an ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder card, also an AGP 8X card. Old card has occasional fan trouble, so need to replace it.

I uninstalled the old drivers, shut down the computer, and installed the new card. I handled it carefully, made sure it was seated correctly, hooked up power to it, hooked up the monitor (same one that worked with the old card), and started it up.

I get a blank screen, then test appeared in the upper left corner listing the specs of the new video card, then nothing. Hung up there forever. Restarted the computer, then the screen was blank and the monitor told me it was not receiving any signal.

For giggles, I re-installed my old card again, computer booted up fine (albeit with no drivers for the old card now). So, tried the whole thing again with the new card, same result.

Help!

Here's my system (also listed in my profile):

Asrock K7S41GX motherboard
AMD Athlon 2800 CPU
1.5 GB RAM
160GB harddrive
DVD-ROM
CDRW
floppy is disconnected right now.
300W power supply (which the card specs say is the minimum for this card)

Thanks.

Does your computer have integrated graphics? Cause you need to boot up in the all in wonder, and enable them. Install the drivers for the new card, and restart using 7600GS, then disable the onboard graphics driver.

My motherboard DOES have integrated graphics. However, the motherboard manufacturer info says that I do not have to disable the onboard graphics -- that it switches automatically when an AGP card is installed or uninstalled. Not even sure how I'd go about disabling them on this board -- that's a BIOS issue, isn't it?

I guess I could try that.

On a related note, I actually tried booting with no AGP card in at all, with just the monitor plugged into the motherboard VGA port -- and guess what? no signal to the monitor! What's up with that?

Can you spare a quick reminder on how to disable onboard video so I can try what you suggest?

Thanks!

What size is your power supply? It drinks the power...I have this card mine is made by ASUS..On the back of the box it says,"Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply."

Your PSU may not have enough juice for the newer card. Open your case, check the PSU's label. Tell us how many amps it has on the +12V rail or rails. You should have more than 25 amps, for a good, stable operation. It should be at least a 350 or 400W quality PSU.

7600 and others

I have had trouble with both the 6200 and 7600 cards on my ASRock board.
The most recent attempt is with a 7600GS 256mb from inno 3D.
Although the card is recognised by DOS in the first boot up, and the OS, when I come to install driver, 91.47 on CD, it firstly does not recognise card and then goes into a re-boot loop finally coming to a complete stop with blank screen.
Messages in the Adaptor information file; all read unavailable. (Chip Type, DAC type, Memory size etc:)

I have installed all bios update relevant to video card problems, now upto v2.0 from the ASRock site.
Any suggestions welcomed. My previouse card, FX5200 128mb works fine.
All protocols followed to uninstall drivers and install NEW version for card.

Strangley enough the 7600 was installed on to my sons computer and all went well. It works. Suprise, suprise. And this is using only 512 mb RAM and an Athlon XP 1.6MHz. All on a Jetway board.
Conclusion! It must be the ASRock board.

regards and happy New year to all.

SYSTEM:
Motherboard: ASRock K8 combo Z
Sempron 3100+
1GB ram (PC3200)
XP Sp2
500w PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back