Problem installing RealTek AC97 driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks Limpet here~

I'm new to this forum so bare with me eh? hehe

Ok, I work for an internet cafe, and my boss has me reformatting one of the stores computers... No big deal (usually...)

First thing I had an issue with was locating the sound drive for the sytem,...of course he had NO idea what sound card that was in there, so I jacked up one of the other stores computers that was identical to this one, and it had realtek drivers..

Ok, dandy! So I found the right ones, and went to install...Only... After it was just about to finish installing the audio controller...The damned thing restarts itself...

So I figure; "Ok, technology doesnt ALWAYS work like it should, lets try again..."

I've done this four times, and it restarts itself every time I do it... Suggestions?

And if you guys cant help me with this, then at least give me a shot gun...I'd like to buck shot this computer when I'm finished ;p

Thanks in advanced!

Limpet!~

PS: Jawhol!

You have intel chipsets? what motherboard is it?

With Intel you have to update the Intel Chipset before you install the Audio Driver

Hi,

Tell us what make and model the computer is,or else go to

the web site of the computer maker and look for the "support" tab,

then enter your model details and follow through to "Audio driver".

It sounds like you have a driver that is not quite the right driver.

I'm having the same problems on my friend's computer. Its an eMachines T2984. Onboard RealTek AC'97 sound card.

I've tried reinstalling it, and it will reboot a little past the halfway point of the installation. I booted into to safe mode, and it will take a long time at the part it usually crashes at, but it gets past it and finishes successfully. Then, I'll restart to normal mode, as the computer's booting, it will restart without warning, and loop, until I interrupt the loop by putting it back into safe mode.

I've tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall, same "looping" result. I've tried to let windows find and install it itself, same thing.

I'm giving up and just taking an old Sound Blaster sound card I have laying around and installing it on their computer. Hopefully that will work. If it doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Oh, and I've scanned the computer for malware. I found a few things, but no rootkits or anything else that might block or interrupt the installation.

I'm having the same problems on my friend's computer. Its an eMachines T2984. Onboard RealTek AC'97 sound card.

I've tried reinstalling it, and it will reboot a little past the halfway point of the installation. I booted into to safe mode, and it will take a long time at the part it usually crashes at, but it gets past it and finishes successfully. Then, I'll restart to normal mode, as the computer's booting, it will restart without warning, and loop, until I interrupt the loop by putting it back into safe mode.

I've tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall, same "looping" result. I've tried to let windows find and install it itself, same thing.

I'm giving up and just taking an old Sound Blaster sound card I have laying around and installing it on their computer. Hopefully that will work. If it doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Oh, and I've scanned the computer for malware. I found a few things, but no rootkits or anything else that might block or interrupt the installation.

Well, I disabled the onboard sound card through windows, then again through BIOS and put an old Sound Blaster card I had laying around in the computer. Windows installed drivers on it's own, and sound now plays through the speakers.

If you're having the same problem and you don't have a sound card laying around or don't want to go buy one, my alternative was to reinstall the drivers starting with the newest one. Then if that didn't work, uninstall it, and install the next oldest one. If it still didn't work, then I'd try the next oldest one, and so on, til I found one that worked.I had a similar problem awhile back with a graphics card and its drivers, and I did that, and it worked. It took me a LONG time to do it, but after going through about 12 drivers, it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back