Problem Logging into Windows XP Home - cant' find domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luna M

Just looking for a bit of advice.

A computer I'm working on gives teh following error when attempting to log on to any user under normal bootup:

"The system cannot log you on because the domain [computer name]* is not available."

*the computer name happens to be the name of the client, and so I have omitted it.

[computer name] is just the name of the computer as shown if you look in the Computer Name tab under My Computer > Properties. If I change it, the error message changes to reflect it.

I've worked on this same computer in the past for the same problem. Last time I solved it by doing a system restore. This time, system restore fails (no matter what date I use).

Has anyone else seen this before? If so, is this an easily solvable problem and I'm just being a numbskull, or is this just Windows corruption best solved by a wipe/reload?

For posterity, the exact OS is XP Home w/SP2 installed. It appears to have Windows Update set to automatic, and most of the updates installed are just the critical/security ones.

(As a side-note, I thought WinXP Home couldn't log into domains [without a hack], anyway, that's why it's Home instead of Pro...is that wrong?)

Looking for the simplest answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back