Problem viewing external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I just bought a samsung external hard drive and installed it on my computer (Windows XP) I am desperately trying to locate the drive to store folders on it but its not under My Computers!! I am terrible at computing, could someone please help me.
thanks

The drive needs to be partitioned and formatted before Windows will recognise it. Did it ship with any software for setting it up ? ?
If not check Samsungs site for drive prep tools

patio. :cool:

patio said:
The drive needs to be partitioned and formatted before Windows will recognise it. Did it ship with any software for setting it up ? ?
If not check Samsungs site for drive prep tools

patio. :cool:

Thanks for replying,
I'm afraid I do not know what either partitioning or formatting of a drive means or how it is done. The drive is a laptop hard-drive and I have installed it in a 2.5" case with the hope that it works just like a USB flash drive.
I shall check the Samsung website as you have suggested.

The drive should have shipped with a small user's manual. I use an external hard drive enclosure, and not an actualy external hard drive, but I imagine they are much the same thing.

I grabbed this from the Sabrent web site:

Right click on “My Computer” and choose “Manage” from the drop-down list. A Window called “Computer Management” will pop up
Click on the “Disk Management”. All connected disk drives will be displayed in the lower right-hand corner of the window. Carefully locate your new external drive, right click on it to initialize your drive, create or delete new partitions, and/or format an existing partition.
6.2 Go to “My Computer”, locate the removable disk, right click on it, and select “Format” from the drop-down list, follow the instructions to complete the formatting process.

Note: Using this method to format your drive will result in a single partition in largest drive capacity, which is also highly recommended

Note: For Windows 98 and ME, format your drive with FAT32 (the ONLY choice). For Windows 2000 and Windows XP, the default choice is NTFS. However, you can also choose to format the drive with FAT32 ONLY IF the drive size if smaller or equal to 32GB.

Thank you so much!!!! that method seems to be working so far (windows is formatting the hard drive) I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help! I have spent too much money on the hard disk and for it not to work was terrible!!! thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back