Problem with CPU temperature constantly too high

So to clear out what my hardware is, my core is an intel i3 2100 LGA 1155.

For a bit of background - A few months back, I encountered this problem that my fan started to malfunction. Though a few hours later, the fan started to work again. I used a flashlight to look into the CPU, and yeah it was spinning (Both of them at equal rates).

So onto the actual problem. I few days ago, I just got my PC fixed since my vid card malfunctioned. Fearing it was overheating, I downloaded speedfan and now constantly check my GPU temperature. However, what worries me now is that it constantly reads my CPU temperature to be around 85-91 Celsius. The frightening thing is, it's ALWAYS at that range. Even when I just turn my computer on despite it being in air-conditioning, the temp is always at that range. I also asked the guy who fixed my PC and said that it was a problem, but that 95 C' is standard for a PC that's been used for hours.

Since I'm kind of lazy to screenshot+upload, I'll just type out what it reads in Speedfan, CoreTemp, and CPU Thermometer.

Speedfan:
GPU: 47C
System 39 C
CPU: 89 C
AUX: 44 C
SMIOVT (4-6) 39 C
HD0 44 C
Core 0 42 C

CoreTemp
Tj. Max: 102 C
Core 0 43 C 41/47 (Min/Max)
Core 1 43 C 40/43 (Min/Max)
Load varies from 1-6%

CPU thermometer reads relatively the same, with a 40-43 C range.

What the hell is up with my PC, and what can I do to solve it?

Hello, omni23414.
It could be a miscalculation on the part of the on-die sensors, or a horribly failing cooling system.
I've checked Google for that chip's average temps, and they aren't supposed to be that high.
My CPU isn't a multi-core, so it by default doesn't generate much heat, but it's overclocked enough to make a toast.

Try disabling any 'Quiet fan' features in your mobo's BIOS, and check the temps.
For how long have you had this problem? Only recently, or since Day 1 of the assembly?

Try taking off all the fans and checking them individually. Check whether any fan is malfunctioning. If none is, it could be a case of bad case airflow. Or miscalculated temps.

Still, give me some more details on which programs you mostly run, how much load they give the CPU. I'll abuse Google for more information on your case.

Good luck!

If you have some spare money to spend, I would recommend getting a liquid cooling system. I have one and my CPU runs at about 41C when under heavy stress.

Hello, omni23414.
It could be a miscalculation on the part of the on-die sensors, or a horribly failing cooling system.
I've checked Google for that chip's average temps, and they aren't supposed to be that high.
My CPU isn't a multi-core, so it by default doesn't generate much heat, but it's overclocked enough to make a toast.

Try disabling any 'Quiet fan' features in your mobo's BIOS, and check the temps.
For how long have you had this problem? Only recently, or since Day 1 of the assembly?

Try taking off all the fans and checking them individually. Check whether any fan is malfunctioning. If none is, it could be a case of bad case airflow. Or miscalculated temps.

Still, give me some more details on which programs you mostly run, how much load they give the CPU. I'll abuse Google for more information on your case.

Good luck!
I'm not really familiar on accessing the BIOS of my PC, and those screens scare me! Though I'll probably get someone who knows how to do that to do it as soon as I can. As for the duration, I don't really know since when. My PC's been on quiet since it was assembled, and it's never overheated or anything for 8 months that I've had it. There was this instance that my GPU broke, but the guy who fixed it said the problem wasn't identifiable/it wasn't overheating. So yeah idk. I just checked one day with speedfan, and it was a whopping 90 C.

As for the fans, all of them are working. My average RPM is around 1500. I opened the casing and all 3 fans work. Like right now, I have a properly distanced IRL fan pointed at the opened CPU (just to test out the temperature), and it's still ranging at 85-90 C. The only programs that have concerning load that I use are Starcraft 2, and League of Legends. The only other functions I use other than this are GIMP sometimes, and the usual Google Chrome browsing. For the gaming programs I aforementioned, I run them on Low Graphics, as opposed to the default High it gave my CPU when it was installed.

Thanks for the reply, and help in advance!

I had the same problem with a friends computer and the only thing that fixed it was a clean install of windows. Temps dropped over -20C and returned to a normal 30-35C after the re-install. I had even cleaned and reapplied fresh AS5 paste and still high temps, I tried everything believe me.

@omni23414
Can you give me some more information on your case's physical arrangement? A pic of the inside and one of its usual home (possibly on your desk I assume) would be enough to figure out airflow obstructions, if any. A dust-choked heatsink could be problem for any fan. Thus cleanliness is of utmost importance too.

If it's not a case of bad airflow, then there are two possibilities in my mind as of now:
1) Miscalculated temps: In that case you are better off checking the temps in the BIOS's 'Hardware Monitoring' page. To access it you have to first boot up your PC, and keep pressing F2 or the 'Delete' key since the moment you press the power button, depending on your mobo's configuration. You can refer to your motherboard's manual for more accurate details.

2) Hardware driver errors: If you are brave enough, you can do what Buckshot420 said. Perform a Clean Install of your Windows OS. Remember to backup all your data first.

I had a problem recently when CoreTemp started showing my temps at 0`C! I reverted my overclocking, re-installed CoreTemp, and everything was fine again, showing a convincing 42`C. You can try that too.

BTW, you mentioned your GPU 'broke'. Can you tell exactly what had happened? It *could* be related, you know, since the problem have apparently started since then. But GPUs generally tend to run a bit hotter than CPUs.

By Joule's Law, heat generated is proportional to the square of the current passing through a conductor. Are you sure the bloke who fixed your GPU didn't overclock or overvolt your system by any chance?

Kindly bear in mind that I don't have much information on key factors of your system, so I'm left to speculate on what can be a problem.

I suspect you are confused regarding the temperature scale.Those temps in Celsius would result in your case having spots that are too hot to touch but in Fahrenheit would be quite normal. Many BIOSes will allow for both scales to used.

Keep in mind it could also be that the HSF isn't on properly or a bad application of thermal grease.
Though I would first check the other alternatives.

Hi,
today I finished building my pc and when I started it everything worked perfect except the cpu temp, I think it was a miscalculation because while the rest was around 20 degrees the cpu was 100 degrees. what can I do about it? I use thermal paste and the original intel I 5 1670 cooler..

Back