Problem with E-machine, guessing it's the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got some problems with an E-machine H 2602. I'm guessing it's the motherboard, but I was hoping that someone could confirm this based on these symptons. BTW, I also think the hard drive is fried, but here's what's going on.

When the power button is pushed, the light goes green, and the HDD light comes on yellow. The only things making noise are the fans. The hard drive is not making any noise at all. Neither is anything else.

If I take the hard drive out, and put in another one I know for a fact works, the light goes off, but the hard drive still doesn't make any noise like it does when it's in the machine I took it from.

Other than that, the CD Rom will not open, and the light on the floppy doesn't on. The green light for the ethernet cable does come on however.

I've tried a new power supply also, and that hasn't changed a thing. Also tried a new peripheral cables just on the off chance that that was the problem. Once again, that didn't change anything.

Does this sound like the motherboard is fried and needs to be replaced? Any help would be great. I know E-machines have huge motherboard problems, I just wanna be sure this sounds like it is the problem.

As far as the power supply, it seems to be working.... By that I mean the computer turns on and it seems to send power to the mobo (ethernet light coming on) so does it sound like it's ok?

So it doesn't matter that the power supply still seems to work I should replace it. Is that because there's a chance it could fry the new motherboard?

Yes Emachines Power supplies are notorious for leaving and taking the motherboard and cpu with it. So i would replace it........IMO

That's what I'm trying to confirm. Even though the power supply still works it could take the new motherboard the next time, and that's why I should replace it right?

If it the PSU that came with the emachines yea i would replace it! Because they are very prone to give out.

Sounds good thanks all! Luckily this isn't my PC, but I'll give my friend the bad news. At the price of the mobo and PSU, and the price of new PC's these days, he's almost better off buying a new PC

Yes alexlacelle,
buying a new PC might be a better option. Tell your friend to stay away from eMachines and get a HP or Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back