Problem with Linksys Wireless-G 4-Port Router..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolmatt

Howdy, the problem I am having with this router is that sometimes while using the internet, the internet stops working. When I go to "Repair" the Network Connection it stays at "Renewing IP Address". This has been happening for quite a while and I haven't been able to diagnose a solution. What I do know, is that it has nothing to do with the modem. I'm using Comcast High Speed Internet and when I just hook up my computer to the router, it works just fine.

This is the same router which comes in the Wireless Notebook Kit (the router with only one antenna). Any help is appreciated, I'm going to try contacting Linksys if no-one here can help me first. Thanks.

EDIT: I have a computer and an Xbox 360 hooked up (wired) to the router and have two laptops which connect to the router (wirelessly).

The problem is also occuring at the same time with my other computers.

Hmm...You can try the following to bypass the renewing of the IP Address by setting static IP address to your ethernet adapters.

Assuming the internal IP address of your router is 192.168.1.1 which should be a linksys default if i m not mistaken, for any individual ethernet adapters, set the following.

IP address: 192.168.1.X (X refers to a digit from 1 to 255, is to unique to each devices)
Subnet MaskL: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

young&wild said:
Hmm...You can try the following to bypass the renewing of the IP Address by setting static IP address to your ethernet adapters.

Assuming the internal IP address of your router is 192.168.1.1 which should be a linksys default if i m not mistaken, for any individual ethernet adapters, set the following.

IP address: 192.168.1.X (X refers to a digit from 1 to 255, is to unique to each devices)
Subnet MaskL: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
I tried that, yet it still does not work. I cannot figure it out, everytime it happens it happens on ALL my other computers at the same time.

When the signal loss happens is anything else on in the area like a cordless phone or microwave. SOme devices cause interference with wireless routers. I had a problem with a Linksys router and change it for a Dlink and that solved my problems. Just a thought.........

the RENEW is initiated by & from the ISP, so your LAN/router setup is a victum, not the direct cause.

update your firmware for the router AND if possible the modem. I've seen systems
where the RENEW cycle causes this symptom due to poor firmware that has been
corrected in later releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back