Problem with new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got new RAM for my computer, upgrading from 512 to 1GB. When I put the sticks in, my computer starts up and runs for about 1 or 2 minutes then freezes. When I put the old 512 set up back in, the computer runs fine. Any suggestions?

We need a bit more info from you.

What make/model is your motherboard and what is your PSU make/watts?

What are the speeds of the ram sticks you are trying to get to work? How many sticks at the same time etc?

I'm not sure what the motherboard is - the computer was already made when I bought it. But the sticks originally were 2 sticks of 256. Now I'm trying to add 2 sticks of 512 in. I know the computer is taking it, because when I run a diagnostic it says the computer has 1024MB RAM. But shortly after it just freezes.

Try with just one stick of 512mb at a time to help us troubleshoot.

Is your computer a "brand name" like a dell or something? If so, give us your model number. We should be able to get your motherboard info that way. It sounds to me like one of two things. Either the ram itself is damaged, or the ram's speed (is it DDR400 for example?) is not supported by your board. Sometimes a bios update can fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back