Problem with UDMA and SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

LipsOfVenom

I have 1 Western Digital 160GB Sata and 1 Maxtor 80 GB UDMA/133. The SATA is on IDE 2 master and the UDMA is on IDE 1 slave with no master on the same cable. Should I set the UDMA as master on IDE 1?? the Western Digital has windows XP pro and the 80 GB maxtor doesn't have an OS installed. The problem is that everytime I boot I need press power....wait for the american megatrends screen, then press restart to get to windows.

Most Wd drives built in the past few years should not be jumperd at all if they are alone on the IDe channel. so you can try removing the jumper altogether and if that doesnt work then set it as master.

oh no..the SATA doesn't have a jumper (I left it factory set). I was just wondering about the UDMA, should I set that one as master or slave? There's nothing else on that IDE cable.

Master/slave is irrelevant. M and S devices are absolutely equal on an IDE channel and if you have a single device then it doesn't matter which way you set your jumpers.

What happens if you don't do the restart thingy? The computer just hangs? Maybe you have to set a delay in BIOS to allow the hard drives spin up before detecting them?

oops, didnt pay close enough attention and didnt ssee it was a sata drive.

could be a bios boot order issue
could also be that one of the drives is giving an error and bios is set to stop on error
is it telling you to press ,like F1 to continue??
and guessing your booting from sata drive
need to make that the first boot in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back