Problem with VGA card or Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought geforce fx video card six months ago and it worked perfectly well until yesterday. When I turn on the pc, it displays white rectangular boxes and distorted texts on the screen, then after a short while it goes totally blank.

I don't think it was a compatibility problem since it worked fine for six months.
I ruled out the monitor problem since it works fine with other pc.
I don't overclock.

Actually, it's the second time this happened to me. I encountered the same problem with my first video card (Geforce4) which I used and worked perfectly fine for two years. I resulted to unplugging my video card and using the onboard vga. That's why I bought this new one (geforce fx) but the same thing happened. I'm having a suspicion that my motherboard is causing my graphics card to get busted.

So which is to blame? the graphics card or the mother board?

Any help will be appreciated.. thankz techies!

Video Graphics cards last in relationship to how much they are used... If you play a lot of games, and do not have great cooling in the case, your card may have just burned out. We do not often see that problem caused by the board itself. Also, a lest than terrific power supply can contribute to the early failure.

I do play a lot of games and it is really hot here in my country. I tried snapping the card out and putting it back in but nothing changed. If ever my video card burned out, is there a way to fix it or do I really need to replace it?

You can't fix a bad card, you'll have to replace it. I would look into improving the cooling in your system - adding case fans, make sure the card you get has a good heatsink/fan combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back