Problem with Vista x64 reconizing new DVD burner installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new member here and I don't really have a high knowledge of building or working on my computer, so please bare with me.

My old 4year old NEC DVD burner seems to have run it's course, so I purchased a new one, actually 2. A LITE-ON 20x DVD+R w/ lightscribe SATA burner and a Pioneer 20x DVD+R DVD burner IDE.

I wanted to go with a SATA for the supposed increase in speed over the current IDE that was installed but after switching them out the sata cable that came with the Light-On model seemed a bit short to plug into my mother board and I didn't want to chance screwing somehting up.

So, I went with another IDE model in the Pioneer thinking that I just had to reconnect the existing power and IDE connectors, which I did without too much trouble...lol
The burner did power up (led light indicator on and DVD tray popped open). I also was able to download (after quite a bit of searching) the firmware update that was suggested when installing this Pioneer.

But when I insert a DVD nothing happens. I went to my controll panel and into device manager which listed nothing in DVD/CD ROM devices.
When I switched back to the orginal NEC burner my device manager listed my 2 previously installed players.......
NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A ATA
SONY CD-RW CRX230E ATA

When I had the new burner installed Vista was telling me it detected no device and there was nothing listed in the device manager under DVD/CD - ROM drives.

Sorry for the long story, I'm sure this is a simple matter to most of you guys, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could shed some light on what I am doing wrong.

I recently up graded my system... OS (Vista x64 Ultimate), GPU (FOXXCONN 8800GTX OC@630/2000) and added additional 2G DDR2 800 PC-2 6400 to 4G total.
I have had problems with this area also that I seem to be getting slowly ironed out...i.e. BSOD, freeze ups and ramdom crashes...don't know if this can be inter-related with My DVD install problem.

"Hi, new member here and I don't really have a high knowledge of building or working on my computer, so please bare with me"...

So why did you go with Vista 64-bit? Vista 64-bit has many driver issues right now, as you are learning. Even a knowledgeable computer person has trouble with Vista in general, let alone 64-bit Vista. Why use 2 burners? Are you getting bad advice from someone?

SATA devices need no jumpers set. With 2 IDE devices on one IDE channel, one has to be set as master and one set to slave. There is a single jumper near the flat cable. This jumper has 3 positions. M=Master, S=Slave a CS=Cable Select. Have set this jumper properly?

Tmagic650 said:
"Hi, new member here and I don't really have a high knowledge of building or working on my computer, so please bare with me"...

So why did you go with Vista 64-bit? Vista 64-bit has many driver issues right now, as you are learning. Even a knowledgeable computer person has trouble with Vista in general, let alone 64-bit Vista. Why use 2 burners? Are you getting bad advice from someone?

SATA devices need no jumpers set. With 2 IDE devices on one IDE channel, one has to be set as master and one set to slave. There is a single jumper near the flat cable. This jumper has 3 positions. M=Master, S=Slave a CS=Cable Select. Have set this jumper properly?

Thanks for the fast reply....I went with Vista x64 to be able to fully use the 4 gigs of memory and figured that going to a 64-bit OS was going to be a more long term solution.
You are correct in saying that Vista has many driver issues...I've been on an almost non-stop quest to get programs and hardware running properly. If I had to do over again I would have left Win XP installed.

I purchased 2 burners because the 1st was a SATA that I wasn't sure how to connect from my other optical drive which is a CD-ROM (Master) connected to the old DVD burner (Slave) using what I see as an IDE cable marked Master and Slave. I didn't understand how to connect those two so I purchased a 2nd burner with the same IDE connection as the original burner, figuring it would be an easy swap. I replaced the newer burner in the same exact config as the older one (CD-ROM as master and DVD Burner as Slave).....as I mentioned earlier, it powered up ok but when I put a DVD in, nothing happens and Vista doesen't detect the new hardware even though both new units are Vista Certified.

You said you updated the firmware on the Pioneer. If this is the drive that is not detected by Vista, you may have trashed the player by doing the update.

"I don't really have a high knowledge of building or working on my computer, so please bare with me"...

Your knowledge seems to be just enough to get you in trouble

Tmagic650 said:
You said you updated the firmware on the Pioneer. If this is the drive that is not detected by Vista, you may have trashed the player by doing the update.

"I don't really have a high knowledge of building or working on my computer, so please bare with me"...

Your knowledge seems to be just enough to get you in trouble

???.......I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my thread, but why and how would a firmware update "trash" the burner ?
After researching the burners and reviews of many people that actually purchased this player, all said that they updated the firmware which improved the performance. None mentioned any problems such as I am experiencing due to any updates they installed.

As for my knowledge getting me into trouble ???

DieselCat18, first off you don't need to Quote a message right under or over your last post... and updating firmware is a risky move anytime. If the firmware update fails or doesn't complete properly, the burner WILL NOT FUNCTION! My advice at this point would be to buy another CD/DVD combo burner and pair it with a simple DVD ROM

Tmagic......thanks...but no thanks !.... even if your correct about the firmware update causing a problem. I'll move on to seek advice from someone else less the attitude....I'm really suprised by this series of responses, thought this forum would offer helpful assistance....not attitude !....thanks for the first impression !!

If a firmware update does not completely install or if there is a bad code (the programmer is wrong), a firmware update can lock your equipment.

A rule of thumb with hardware is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

DieselCat18 said:
The burner did power up (led light indicator on and DVD tray popped open). I also was able to download (after quite a bit of searching) the firmware update that was suggested when installing this Pioneer.

But when I insert a DVD nothing happens. I went to my controll panel and into device manager which listed nothing in DVD/CD ROM devices.
Does it show up in BIOS?

That I don't know......I'm not comfortable with opening up and looking around in the BIOS....but I did install this burner in a 2nd computer with the same result in that it didn't function or was detected in the device manager. The only difference was one system was running Vista x64 and the other XP Pro.
So if this was a result of downloading and installing a firmware update or it being a DOA product....I'm not sure. I guess my best bet would be to RMA it back for a replacement.
If I did open up the BIOS, where would I look to see if it is detected there ? And if it is or isn't....what does that tell me ? ....Thxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back