Problems installing Windows 7 64 on wife's rig

Mazrim

So my wife needed to re-install Windows, and decided to boot from her dvd-rom to run the disk and start the formatting process. She chose the option for a clean install of windows (re-format the drive and install new copy), but now there's a problem:

First, following her install, she noticed that her OS was running even slower than it should be, and we found out that she had TWO partitions instead of one like she should've had. The 2nd partition is the old partition, meaning that somehow, Windows decided "Nope! Can't delete that old partition!", and just tacked on another.

Second, when we tried to just delete the partitions, her ASUS M5A99x mobo no longer sees her dvd-rom, making it impossible to boot from the dvd drive.

Is she stuck with a screwed up HD? Or is there a workaround for this?

Choose custom install and then select advanced options. From there you can delete all partitions and then create a new one.

The problem is that we can no longer boot off the Windows CD. The motherboard no longer sees her dvd drive, and will only start off of one of the two partitions.

If there is nothing wrong with the DVD drive and it is set as the first boot device in the BIOS, it should work for you. If the BIOS no longer recognizes the drive it is either disconnected or damaged.

Why did your wife 'need' to reinstall? There is probably a good clue implied by your answer, such as 'failing HDD' or worse 'failing motherboard'.

One other recommendation. If the original install is still there, I personally would delete the new partition and reinstall over the old installation, by using the 'update-in-place' or non-destructive install (I cant remember exactly what it is called, but it replaces the OS files without destroying your data and settings, which can be a huge time-saver).

Last edited:
Why did your wife 'need' to reinstall? There is probably a good clue implied by your answer, such as 'failing HDD' or worse 'failing motherboard'.
Another concern I have with what I read is slower than before. That doesn't make sense, a clean install should always be faster........ EXCEPT if the proper drivers are not installed. So I'd make sure the drivers are updated as well.

Back