Problems loading windows on E-systems laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have a laptop which was giving problems with freezing and not booting into windows, I ran some checks which suggested a problem with the hard drive which I have replaced. I ran the system restore disc which keeps throwing up an error with pciidex.sys, the disc is a little scratched and marked so I thought I would load windows off an original cd. It boots up to the initial blue screen, loads some files, gets to the last loading windows screen and then reboots. I have tried this several times without success, it doesn't get as far as asking me if I want to load windows or try a repair. I have ran checks on the memory 2/3 times and it comes out as OK.
I feel as tho I'm banging my head against a wall at the moment. Anyone any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

The laptop is an ie-systems 3089uk, Celeron M420 1.6GHz, 256Mb memory, 40GB hard drive, Windows XP home.

No in your Profile <=

Anyway:
the (original)disc is a little scratched and marked
Please take the disc to your local DVD Rental store, most have a cleaning machine (usually $5 or $10)

Then try the original again

My profile does show my system specs, this laptop is not mine therefore not listed in my profile. When asked I am always happy to provide any info requested.

I see

That's ok

By the way, in your System Specs you need to answer "Yes" to show them

But because this is someone elses computer I suppose don't worry

When moving a hard drive or laying down an image taken from one PC to another PC with a different hardware profile,
Windows 'blue screens' with an 'inaccessable boot device' error.

This is because the pnp id information for the ide controller is not present in the registry.

I'm not sure why this page does not inform the user of CPU chipset issue (that will stop Windows from starting if the HardDrive is put into a different computer) in that case a Repair option will do.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for Hodsocks to inform me if the Original CD (once professionally cleaned) worked or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back