Problems with an ASUS P5B, no bootup to new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a mess of problems with my computer, and was hoping someone could help me out of my current situation.

My old hard drive recently failed; it was a 250 gig IDE Western Digital. Heard the headers clicking and knew it was done for, so I got everything off to an external USB drive and went and picked up a new 500 gig SATA hard drive, another Western Digital (maybe should have learned my lesson...)

Hooked up the new SATA and just can't get things right. Right now i'm trying to get it to boot off my ide cd drive so i can install windows xp on the new hard drive. I get the message "Detect drives done, no any drives found." I disable the Jmicron settings in the bios and that message goes away, but i still get "Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media."

Everything shows up in the bios; the hard drive and the cd drive are there to be selected in the boot sequence. Ive tried another CD drive with no luck, and have tried changing the jumpers on the cd drive but it doesn't seem to help. The only thing that worked was powering off the cd drive, disconnecting the ide cable, reconnecting it, and turning back on; it would let me boot up to the windows cd but something would go wrong fairly quickly after that, trouble copying files usually (The CD is fine, brand new almost).

I really need help, ive got a paper due monday and haven't even started it.

MB: Asus P5B
CPU: Intel core duo, 2.4 ghz
CD Drive: Toshiba...something. Just a cheap generic drive, has never given me problems.
HD: Western Digital 500gb SATA, no operating system on it.
GPU: Nvidia 8800

It sounds like you need to install the SATA/RAID controller drivers while you are installing Windows on the SATA HDD. You will need a floppy drive and diskette to install the SATA/RAID drivers via the F6 prompt early in the Windows setup process. BTW, this applies to Windows XP. You didn't say what the OS was. Anyway, you should consult your motherboard manual for the procedure for making the SATA driver diskette if your motherboard did not come with SATA/RAID floppies. It's not always a matter of copying and pasting the files.

If you don't have a floppy drive, you can make a slipsteam CD and install Windows that way. Google for the process for making a slipstream CD. Basically, you combine your Windows CD with the SATA/RAID drivers to make the installation CD, then you can avoid the F6 diskette issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back