Problems with my new HSF HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

I just bought the Arctic Cooling freezer 64 Pro for my AMD 64 X2 3800+ and i installed it and i'm reading all these reviews on how its dropping everyones temps by like 5-10C so i put it in expecting at least a 1 to 2 degree drop But nothing its the exact same as my Stock cooler so i figure i'll put some load on it so i pop up WoW and run it double boxed this is like 75% load according to my Ghost monitor that came wit the board and the temp gets up to 44C thats the same as my frickin Stock cooler but also B4 i put my new HSF in i noticed my back exhaust fan 120mm Aspire blue LED fan was blowing in the wrong direction But get this It was keeping my CPU cooler faced inward blowing the air in then it is blowing out OMFG i'm going crazy plz tell me i did something wrong or i mounted it wrong I've changed even tried reinstalling the thing like 4 times to no avail also i even changed the MX-1 thermal paste it has to some AS5 looks as though the AS5 is better atm but the Directions say there stuff is better i'm going crazy i mean i read over like 120 reviews wit not 1 saying they didn't get at least a 5C change SOMEONE HELP me lol.

oh and btw the rest of my system specs are:
AMD 64 X2 3800+
2 Gigs Corsair XMS
X800GTO
Epox Nforce4 Nvidia Mobo
Raptor 7200rpm 80gig HDD
Xion 2 Case 2x 120mm 1x80mm Fans kickin
Winblows XP Pro/ SP2

also theres quite alot of room in my case and i've read reviews wit people using smaller cases and only having like 2 80mm fans and they get a big temp drop 2 also i've read larger cases doing the smae wit only 2 80mm fans but i'm lost on why this isn't working.

According to what I read, the original thermal compound supplied with the heatsink is supposed to harden during the first 200 hours of operation with performance improving during this period. How long did you give it?

BTW, sorry to say, your post is difficult to read without any punctuation and I'm not sure I understood everything you said. That was one long sentence.

Yeah that was a lot of info in one sentence and I'm a little fuzzy (I don't know what it is and I've seen a doctor about it and he's at a loss).

Ok couple of points, don't panic your temps are very good and there seems to be a few variables here that might be playing against each other.

What was your idle temps with stock cooler with rear fan blowing in?
What was your idle temps with stock cooler with rear fan blowing out?
What are your idle temps with ArticFreezer64 cooler rear fan blowing in?
What are your idle temps with ArticFreezer64 cooler rear fan blowing out?
BTW just unmount and flip the fan around to have it blow out (some yahoo at the factory installed it bkwards.)

Don't do the first 2 again bc I don't recommend monkeying around with the HSF when not req'd. Just do a thought experiment from memory. what you can do is flip bk and forth the rear fan to blow in and out and see how the temps compare to the old setup of stock HSF and rear fan blowing in.

44C under heavy load is good! Do you know what the stock cooler gave under same load?

Cheers.

LOL sorry for the clumped sentences i get in a frenzy when I get frustrated.

Ok now it also says that u can heatup the Thermal compound to make it go quicker so I left Prime 95 running for 8 hours for the last 5 days and thats when i'm not playing games on it for 5-6 hours also under heavy load.

Now b4 i fixed the rear fan my idle temp was around 29-31C area
with about 80% load it got as hot as maybe 39-41C

When i changed the fan to blow it changed my idle temps to 32-34C (this is also after the burn in time to)
My load temps were in the area of 44-47C under a heavy load maybe 80% or so

now i dunno what the hell to do and maybe a different fan orientation would be in store i have 2x 120mm fans one exhaust (now) and 1 in the front thats intake and also a 80mm fan on the side window which i changed to intake to cool the CPU (now b4 it was exhaust and i was getting better temps)

any ideas would be helpful wether it be changing fan orientation i'm not swapping the HSF's again i'll stick with the 64 pro and the AS5 is also doing alot better then the thermal paste that came with it.

thanks, The n00b

I'm just summing up: 3 Fans. 1 Rear blowing out, 1 Front and 1 Side blowing in. Unplug the front fan you see what you get.

The old arrangement was this?: 1 rear and 1 front blowing in and 1 side blowing out.

If the old way works better leave it like that. Nothing says it has to the top arrangement.

Cheers.

That sounds good when ya say it to change it back but when i actually think about changing it back the way it was I kind of shutter.

What I mean is the Arctic Cooler freezer 64 Pro is massive and it sticks out alot on the mobo and it tells you to aim the airflow to the back of the case Now if i put my fan blowing in again it would be blowing directly back at the HSF and in my mind trapping that hot air inbetween the fans.

Now the 120mm intake fan in the front of the case rests under my HDD and doesn't seem like it has a big impact but maybe i can try exhausting that one and turning the back one back in like you said maybe sucking some of that hot air out again and turn my side window fan back to exhaust (plus the window fan got loud when i reversed it to intake had to unplug it from the mobo controller was running like 3000 rpm's on a 80mm fan)

But trapping hot air in scares me a little i mean my comp. is like my kid I can't live without this thing i need a computer everyday or i freak out and if it gets fried I'll prolly go into a long binge of depression lol. but i'll give it a go and we'll see

Just one last thing could the Ghost monitor software be wrong even though it came with the board i know there not always spot on accurate and I read the BIOS temps b4 making the fan switch and they wer close could changing that fan direction maybe I dunno make the BIOs more accurate then Monitoring softare now ?

Appreciate the help so far guys keep it coming

Just one last thing could the Ghost monitor software be wrong even though it came with the board i know there not always spot on accurate and I read the BIOS temps b4 making the fan switch and they wer close could changing that fan direction maybe I dunno make the BIOs more accurate then Monitoring softare now ?

There are many diff softwares out there for this, like Everest, Motherboard Monitor and a few others I can't think of right now. If the BIOS and the software you're using now are pretty close (1-2C) I'd say that both are working properly.

BIOS monitor tends to be more accurate bc the mobo manufacture has more details about the thermistors used on the board and CPU die and can build the correction factors into the BIOS, then a 3rd party software can. Of course the 3rd party software can read the temps when the PC is running and underload which is very important. Changing the fan direction will not alter either the BIOS or software accuracy, BUT it can and probably IS affecting the temperature. Thus the change in reading.

Cheers.

ok so i changed the fan in the rear to blow in an now my idle temp is 26-27C and my load temps are about 36-37C and i changed my side window fan to exhaust now God this is messed up but w/e it works better so i'll leave it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back